Valued Contributor

Mail Message

Hi All,
Wondering if anyone has come across anything like this:

I can email something like the following from HPUX:

more [filename]|mail [emailaddress]

However, if I do the following:

echo "test"|mail [emailaddress]

I never get the email. I'm checking mail.log and it reports as the message being sent...I just never get it.
Sendmail, etc. is up and running and generally things are mailed just fine. Mail queue is empty, so nothing is getting hung up.
As I said, I can pretty much mail files, etc. without a problem. What in the world is it about that echo that is not allowing me to receive that message? Anyone have any clues as to where I may look next?
This is HPUX 11.11

Many Thanks

Mauro
7 REPLIES 7
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Re: Mail Message

Try the same command, but use "sendmail" instead of "mail", or try using "mailx"
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

No luck...neither worked. Same result...shows in mail.log as being sent, yet I don't get an email. By the way, delay=00:00:00 on all of these. Strange
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>shows in mail.log as being sent,

Then it was sent. You now need to look at all of the machine where it was sent to see who rejected it.

I assume you have looked in your spam/junk folders?

You should also use mailx and -s to apply a subject: mailx -s "this is a subject"
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

Looks like it was getting caught by the spam filter on the mail server. If I use mailx and put in a subject, it gets delivered.

Still weird though because I have another server very similar to it, and from there I can get the message even without a subject. I asked IT and the spam filter has no difference in policies between the servers. Not aware of any HPUX differences between the servers.

Oh well, might remain a mystery. Like I said, at least I can get the message when using a subject.

Thanks for your help
Mauro
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I have another server very similar to it, and from there I can get the message even without a subject... Oh well, might remain a mystery...
It does not have to. You can apply Dennis' suggestion again for this server. If the messages are "sent" based on the mail.log go to the other side and trace their delivery. That's what the system and mail log files are for.
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

TTr,
Upon reading your reply, I gotta tell you my first thought was, "the logs are going to be the same".
However, I decided to do it anyway, and I found that there was a Smart relay host configuration in sendmail.cf on one server that wasn't made on the other.

Just goes to show you that when you think something is so obvious that it can't possibly work...try it anyway. Lesson well learned.

Thank You All!!!
Mauro
Mauro Livi
Valued Contributor

Thanks again for all those who replied.

As always your responses are appreciated.

Mauro