5718 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Minimum requirements for Oracle

Joshua Danl
Occasional Contributor

Minimum requirements for Oracle

Hi All,

I have a 2 node VCS cluster, with 1 node hosting 7 10i Oracle databases and the 2nd node hosting 8 10i Oracle databases. As part of the testing I have planned to host all the 15 dbs on a single server. What will be the minimum requirements/resources required by 1 single Oracle database. I have attached the details of the server.

Any help wil be highly appreciated.

Regards
Joshua
3 REPLIES 3
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Joshua:

You should *not* use 'sysdef' for evaluating kernel paramters. It is quite possible that it will yield erroneous values aince it has been deprecated since 11.0 .

Regards!

...JRF...
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Well I wish there was a magical formula, but there isn't. You need to know how large your sga's are going to be for memory requirements. As for cpu load your would need to characterize your loads, etc. All I can say is that you will have to set it up and put as realistic loads as you can on the databases. Good luck.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
TTr
Honored Contributor

As far as memory, the one server has to have enough to hold the databases of both servers. You need to have enough memory to hold the SGAs and running processes for both environments.
For disk capacity, you probably don't need to add anything since the second server's LUNs will be tranferred to the first server.
For disk i/o bandwidth you need to determine if the i/o of one server is going to be enough for both db environments. After the fail over, all the LUNs will be srviced by the same interfaces of the first server.
Same with the network traffic.
As for the kernel parameters, there are two types, those that are capacity based and you have to increase their value to accomodate capacity for the added second environment (e.g. semaphores, nfile) and those that are simple limits and the same value applies to both environments and does not need to be changed(e.g. semaphore-segment-size, max shared mem seg). You have to examine them one by one.