1748250 Members
3205 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

mouse problem under RH Linux 7.3

Zhe Yang

mouse problem under RH Linux 7.3

Hi,

With my new HP Pavilion (751x), I have trouble making the PS/2 mouse working. That is, when I start X or run gpm, the keyboard will freeze and I can only reboot the computer. The mouse was working fine during the RedHat installation.

I suspect that there's some interrupt conflict but I'm not sure. PS/2 mouse should be using IRQ 12, and the keyboard should be using IRQ 1. But how can I find out which IRQs are used by other devices. I've tried to disable PnP support and LAN card in BIOS, but that doesn't help at all.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Cheers,
Zhe
6 REPLIES 6
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

Re: mouse problem under RH Linux 7.3

not pretty sure, but see if
" cat /proc/interrupts "
helps.

hth
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Zhe Yang

Thanks for your suggestion. I did look at /proc/interrupts, but it just showed the counts of interrupts for different IRQS. Nothing was listed under IRQ 12. I was puzzled about this point, but then I read the busmouse HOWTO and learned that under linux, PS/2 mouse registers the IRQ it's using only when it's opened by an application (such as gpm or X).

The problem, I therefore suspect, is that some conflict with other device. But I have no clue how to find out which device it might be.

Maybe it's easier just to buy a USB mouse.

Cheers,
Zhe
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

not pretty sure. i have a ps/2 mouse and works fine.

and my /dev/mouse is a link to /dev/psaux.

used mouseconfig to configure it.

hth
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Zhe Yang

> and my /dev/mouse is a link to /dev/psaux.

> used mouseconfig to configure it.

Same here, but it just doesn't work. I never had the same problem on any other computer before.

Do you also use Pavilion 751x?

Cheers, Zhe
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

no, i use an AcerPower.
Vincent Stedema
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Use 'lspci -vvv' for a very, very verbose listing of all devices installed on your system, including their IRQ assingments. Are you by any chance using devfs?

Regards,

Vincent