4019 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Muiltipathing hp-ux 11 v2 for XP24000

Shehan
Super Advisor

Muiltipathing hp-ux 11 v2 for XP24000

Hi

We are going to connect rx7640 server with running hp-ux 11v2 to XP24000. But we don't know how to do the muitipath in hp-ux. Do we need to purchase muiltipath software separately or it is in-built feature in hp-ux v2?

Regards
Nirukshitha
11 REPLIES 11
Sagar Sirdesai
Trusted Contributor

Re: Muiltipathing hp-ux 11 v2 for XP24000

Hi

You will need to buy the latest version of secure path / autopath software for multipathing .

Sagar
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You can always use LVM with PVLINKS (alternate pathes to the array) without additional software.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Shehan
Super Advisor

Dear Torsten

In order to enable PVLink , Do we need autopath software or other software?

I have heard about the autopath is doing multipating in HP-UX for active/active mode. Anyway what does autopath do?

Regards
Nirukshitha

Secure Path for Active/Active disk arrays = Autopath (they are the same product)

Secure Path = full and automatic load balancing, but costs $$$. Also Secure Path becomes defunct at HP-UX11iv3 as MPIO is built in to the OS

PVLinks = Part of LVM, so you can only use it if you are using LVM (so if you were using for example Oracle ASM it would be no use to you). PVLinks is free as part of the OS but provides only manual staticn load balancing (i.e. you do IO to LUN1 down path 1, LUN 2 down path 2, LUN3 down path 1 LUN4 down path 2 etc. Only when a path fails does IO go down the other path)

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi Duncan

Understood well.We are going to not use LSM. We suppose to use Oracle ASM. If we use oracle ASM, do we need to purchase any multipath software?

Regards
Nirukshitha

If you're using ASM then you absolutely need some sort of MPIO software (unless you're deploying ASM over SLVM in a SGeRAC cluster - if that means nothing to you you're probably not!) - so you'll need to look at purchasing Secure Path for HP-UX for that.

Any reason why you're not deploying on 11iv3 (which has native MPIO)?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi Duncan

Currently server is running with hp-ux v2. Therefore no option to use hp-ux v3.

However, in the current system Secure path is already installed and being connected to EVA3K and EVA8100.Now we are going to connect this server to XP24000 and remove old EVAs. Our oracle people are going to implement Oracle RAC and ASM same time in new stroage. So I want to get an idea how to implement the SAN alternative path redundancy. Currently EVA3K has active-passive mode and EVA8100 has Active-Active mode.

Can I use the existing Secure Path software to get this job done.Current version is as below.
HPswsp A.3.0F.00F.00F HP StorageWorks Secure Path Device Driver and utilities for Active-Active Disk Arrays

CPQswsp A.3.0F.02F.02F HP StorageWorks Secure Path Device Driver, utilities, and upgrade patch for Active-Passive Disk Arrays

Appreciate if you can solve this matter.

Regards
Nirukshitha

Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi DunCan

This is Secure Path 3.0F sp2, not the sp3.If I install SP 3.0F sp3, Do we need another MPXIO for the multipath if am using ASM?

Regards
Nirukshitha