Operating System - Linux
1753760 Members
4748 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netserver LH II - Red Hat ES - Video driver? NIC driver?

TWBSupport
Regular Advisor

Netserver LH II - Red Hat ES - Video driver? NIC driver?

Hi All -
I just installed Red Hat ES on one of our old servers, a Netserver LH II. Install went fine, except that xserver won't start due to the card's driver not present, also I can't get Red Hat to see the dual NIC's that I have in there. Are there any special drivers that I need for Red Hat? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
njia_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

You need Linux drivers for the video card and Dual port NIC.

Have you checked HP website for any driver information ? Actually, I will not worry about finding the drivers, I will get a second hand video card 20 dollars (a old Matrox G200) and 2 second-hand Intel network cards, 5 dollars each. Then no more problems

thanks
TWBSupport
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the info. That is what I was seeing posted here, but I wanted to make sure prior to me trying to get approval for some new cards.

HP doesn't have any of these Linux drivers on their site, so I guess it's off to Staples! Thanks a ton.
Bryan Eley
Trusted Contributor

Belynda,

I believe your Netserver has a Trident TGUI-9440-1 chipset in it, which *should* be compatible with the XF86_S3 driver, depending on which version of RHES you are using. However, that being said it may be a simpler matter getting an old video card as Njia suggested. They usually only have 1MB onboard video ram, which maxes out at 10x7 @ 8-bit.