1752681 Members
5653 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

nfs mount from AIX

Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

nfs mount from AIX

Hello: I have an AIX 5.3 server nfs exporting a directory to a linux 7.3 server. When I try to nfs mount the directory on the linus side I get the following error:

mount kestrel:/apps/data /var/www/ultra/html/kestrel_data
mount: kestrel:/apps/data failed, reason given by server: unknown nfs status return value: -1

Any ideas on what I do next.

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

Re: nfs mount from AIX

It seems you haven't given permission to the Linux client to mount it. How did you export it.. using smitty?

check exported filesystems from AIX

showmount -e

should show all exported filesystems.
Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

Just a little background: The AIX server was rebooted while the directory was mounted on the linux box. Could this cause this problem?

Here is the entry in fstab on the client:
kestrel:/apps/data /var/www/ultra/html/kestrel_data nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0
and here is the /etc/exports from the AIX:
/apps/data -vers=2,sec=sys:none,ro,access=@172.31.10.0/23:@192.168.224.0/24,root=@172.31.10.0/23:@192.168.224.0/24
I just typed mount kestral:/apps/data /var/www/ultra/html/kestrel_data and just mount /var/www/ultra/html/kestrel_data and received the same error
Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

Also. To answer your question the showmount -a command doesn't return anything.
Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

I tried nfs mounting the same directory on one of my HPUX 11.11 servers and received the error message: Permission Denied

Hope this helps.
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

You need the "-o nosecure" flag to make it work.
Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

I was able to mount this same directory on my HPUX 11.11 box. In fact, I've discovered that we are able to mount NFS exported directories from this same AIX server on all other Linux boxes except for this one. Go figure.
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

It seems problem on Client side. Can you check syslog on Linux box where you are having this problem.
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Try adding "nfso -o nfs_use_reserved_ports=1" on the AIX server as this prevents you needing tom mount insecure on Linux.
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

Remember to restart NFS subsystems etc. for this paramter to take effect.