New Discussion юеВ

Re: oracle 10g installation on raw file system and backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

oracle 10g installation on raw file system and backup

Hi,

Do we need to install control, data and redo logs of Oracle 10g on raw file system ?
How do we take backup of oracle using backup software like Dataprotector because oracle data resides on raw file system ?

I mean how come backup Software like Dataprotector work with raw file system for data or files ?

Thanks,
Shiv
12 REPLIES 12
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor
Solution

Shalom Shiv,

First question: No. They can be on cooked filesystems.

Second Question: rman and or third party tools like Veritas Netbackup and Data Protector that use rman. Cold OS backups are out of the question on raw.

Third question: Answered by second answer. The third party utils use rman. They can use rman on raw or cooked filesystems.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Shivkumar,

One can backup oracle database (control files, data files redologs) all being on cooked file system or raw devices. It is not necessary that they should be defined on raw devices.

You can use Data protector to perform cold (off-line) hot (on-line) backups for the database on file-systems.

Dataprotector facilitates the configuration and integration of databases like (DB2, Informix, Lotus, MSSQL, MSVSSW, Mailbox, Oracle, SAP, SAPDB, Sybase).
You can use RMAN. Refer to metalink Note:77552.1 to see Configuring Dataprotector with RMAN.

You could also use Dataprotector alone using omnib (man omnib for details) without integration with RMAN, and backup the database (HOT or COLD). You will need to define the backup specification for the database, select the device and media pool and then schedule the backups through a script via cron.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

Hi Indira,

I was told by some DBAs that control files, data files, and redologs should be installed on raw file systems for better performance and excellent i/o.

Now i am confused which is best option.

Regards,
Shiv
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

1) Performance is not everything; I will take reliability over performance everytime as lonf as the performance is acceptable.
2) Backups are very important. With raw i/o you really have two options 1) dd 2) rman.
3) Performance isn't necessarily worse with cooked files. It's certainly acceptable.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Shivkumar,

The earlier question was about Oracle database backup "datafiles on raw devices" when using Dataprotector.

It was suggested that one can backup oracle database (control files, data files redologs) all being on cooked file system or raw devices. It is not necessary that they should be defined on raw devices.

Now we are talking about performance.......

Well as A. Clay mentioned, performance is good at the same time reliability is an necessary element. No matter how fast the database executes queries, if one cannot have a good backup and restore tool and procedures, then we end up in problems.

You can use raw devices but the backup option will be limited, Unless it is required (eg:- Parallel Processing) you can have the datafiles, redologs, control files on a cooked file system.

Indira A
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Shivkumar,

Refer to Note:148462.1 in metalink "CHECKLIST-What else can influence the Performance of the Database" for details of what Other Factors Can Influence Database performance. This document lists several situations outside the database not commonly took in consideration when a database performance problem surfaces.

Also refer to the Note 37914.1 in metalink "Raw Devices and Oracle - 20 Common Questions and Answers" and Note 23037.1 "Using Unix Raw Partitions as Oracle Data File"

Indira A

Faizer Jameel
Frequent Advisor

Hi
In the event you are using the online jfs then by setting mincache=direct you could bypass the system buffers and here too you gain performance on cooked file systems.
rgds
Faizer
sysadm_1
Valued Contributor

Hi Shiv,

We are using veritas netbackup to backup oracle 9i RAC raw volumes.In raw volume backups,you have to backup entire volume regardless of data size.
If you use oracle RMAN,the size of backup will be related to data size regardless of size of raw volumes/

-sysadm-
Faizer Jameel
Frequent Advisor

Hi
In the event you are using the online jfs then by setting mincache=direct you could bypass the system buffers and here too you gain performance on cooked file systems.

Cold backups could not be done on raw file systems.

Dataprotector/Veritas could be used for backups of Oracle systems online [ on raw or cooked file systems] as rman is the undeline[primary] utilty that is being used for the backup purposes.
rgds
Faizer