1753407 Members
7203 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 10g - Only root and oracle can connect

Mark_Windish

Oracle 10g - Only root and oracle can connect

Hello,

Running HP-HX PARISC 64bit. Recently upgraded from Oracle 8.1.7 to 9.2.0.8 with no issues. Now, for various reasons, we have a need to upgrade to 10g. The database is running, and everything seems to be fine, except when users attempt a connection. The connection fails with a generic 366 error on the application end, with nothing in the Oracle logs.

However, when I connect from the local machine or a client machine, as root or oracle, everything works as expected. Obviously I could add users to the dba group so that they can connect...but I know better. If I open permissions up on the oracle directories (755), I can no longer connect as root, nor can I connect with SQL Plus.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Mark
4 REPLIES 4
Mark_Windish

Re: Oracle 10g - Only root and oracle can connect

Nevermind...the answer was, in case anyone else runs into this:

chmod 755 on the following directories in $ORACLE_HOME:

/bin
/lib
/oracore (including subdirectories and mesg files)
/sqlplus (including subdirectories and mesg files)

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

There is also a script in $ORCACL_HOME/install called changePerm.sh which relaxes permissions on some of the Oracle files to allow non-root/oracle users to use sqlplus, etc.

Regards,
Rich
Mark_Windish

Rich,

Thanks for that information. While I do see that script in my 9i home, I do not see it anywhere in 10g. Although, if I had known about it, I would have modified it for 10g, and gave it a try :)

Thanks again,
Mark
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

You need to check with your application vendor if it is certified for Oracle 10g.

Web applications usually connects to the Oracle database trought Oracle Application Server (OAS), so it may be your OAS version isn't compatible with the apps and/or the database. So, if your apps uses OAS, what OAS version do you have?

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.