1751838 Members
5212 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems with WinModem

Asif Akhtar

Problems with WinModem

Hi

I have currently started to use Linux over the last few weeks. The installation and configuring of my drivers went okay. For the last 4-5 days I have been having some problems with my modem not being detected. I have downloaded a driver for my winmodem. Once I reboot my machine the modem still isn't picked up. I have kernel 2.4.18. I have downloaded all the i386 binaries for this type of kernel and not a single one helps. I have posted to forums but have made little progress since. I have Redhat Linux 8.0 which is running a kernel of 2.4.18. My modem is of type Lucent which is running on a T20 IBM ThinkPad laptop

Any help would be appreciated

Regards
7 REPLIES 7
ADNAN AHMED
Occasional Advisor

hello

yaar it is a problem in linux, it doesn't detect winmodems. check rockwell chipset modems

Thanks
adnan
Asif Akhtar

I know linux have difficulties picking up Winmodems but device builder have developed drivers which allow you to use Winmodems as linmodems
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

You may need several other things.
Did you try kudzu to re-detect it after re-installing drivers ?
Did you re-compile your kernel modules for that ?
I tried a good page tut install on that point with a Lucent modem of ours (but not on IBM thinkpad, though, but still with RH 8.0, and it worked perfectly).
See and try :
http://www.danielrees.me.uk/ltmodem.html

Only kernel 2.4 applies to you of course.
Good luck.
J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Asif Akhtar

Did you try kudzu to re-detect it after re-installing drivers ?
-----
kudzu?? I am not sure what this is. Never heard of it before.

Did you re-compile your kernel modules for that ?
---
No, i installed the drivers using the rpm installer. It said everything is fine.

I tried a good page tut install on that point with a Lucent modem of ours (but not on IBM thinkpad, though, but still with RH 8.0, and it worked perfectly).
--
I will try run the source version rather then the compile version to see if it work.

After the installation i ran minicom it seemed to have connected by i didnt know how to dial out to a specific site or to my isp.

Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

kudzu is the RH hardware detection tool. It is supposed to be run when you install new material (it is also supposed to be launched at start, but it is often not activated, so do not count on rebooting).
Just run 'kudzu'(enter). If your drivers are correctly installed, it should say 'hey, you have this hardware at this place, do you wish me to install it ?' (something like that ;-)
Besides, apart from the driver, you need the kernel (or its modules, depending on your install) to work with your new hard, that is what re-compilation is for (if you do not know how, follow the link's steps, or ask us !).
Doing it from src if fine, just more work for the same result, but a pleasant one.
Good luck.
J
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

To connect to you ISP, use your graphical too called internet connection wizard, which'll allow you to set up login, passwd, phone number and... device ! (supposely now dev/modem, which should appear now in the list).
Asif Akhtar

I will give that try. But concerning compiling the kernel and its modules. If i have installed the drivers using a rpm installer do i need to do the install. I was under the impression that the kernel and the modules need to be recompiled if the driver was installed from src code itself. Or have i just said a whole load of b***ocks. Anyway i will try it once i get home.