1753891 Members
7525 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: process called dmisp use a 95% cpu

Gabriel Jim├йnez Salazar
Occasional Contributor

process called dmisp use a 95% cpu

I have rp5470 and I see performancce with top command I see a process called dmisp use near or 100 % of my cpu┬┤s
┬┐is this normal?
┬┐what the function of this process?
┬┐can I kill this process?
┬┐what should I do for reduce the use of cpu by this pro
6 REPLIES 6
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

dmisp is used by SCM (Service Control Manager) and also System Insight Manager (SIM). If you don't know anything about these tools, you aren't using them so you can stop dmisp. Edit the file /etc/rc.config.d/Dmiconfig and set START_DMI=0 to disable dmisp on startup. Uou can now kill dmisp with kill -15 and it will not restart.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor

I would suggest 2 things.
First, i dont rely on top so much, as it sometimes gives fake data for few proccess. Like rds (Data protector daemon), top always shows 95% or 98% for rds, but when looked through glance it gives the real picture. So use glance and see it your "dmisp" process is really using 100% of CPU.

Second thing, what is dmisp process? grep the process and see who started it, does it have a tty attached, if not it could be a daemon process or someone started and it never died. Look for the relevent directory where it resides and see if it can be brought down insted of killing (killing is easy but never a good process, always use it as last option)

Cheers
Rajeev
Alex Georgiev
Regular Advisor

* is this normal?

It shouldn't be taking 100% of your CPU, but as Rajeev mentioned, I wouldn't trust top too much. For me, dmisp is near the top, but certainly doesn't take up 100%.

Try using glance, if you have it.

Another thing is to make sure that you have the latest patches for top. For example, on HPUX 11i there is defect where top shows the size of the process incorrectly.

* what the function of this process?

dmisp allows your server to be monitored and managed remotely with management software, such as Systems Insight Manager. To learn more you can search the web for "Desktop Management Interface" and "Systems Insight Manager". Also, try man dmi.

* can I kill this process?

Personally I would recommend against it. You never know what piece of software installed on your server, or in your organization, needs to use DMI. If you are pretty sure that no monitoring or management is being used, however, you can stop it: /sbin/init.d/Dmisp stop

Then follow Bill's advice on how to disable it.

* what should I do for reduce the use of cpu by this pro

You can run /usr/dmi/bin/dmilog_viewer to look at the log file for dmisp, hoping that it will yield any clues. Keep in mind that the log file is not easy to read or understand.

I'm not sure what else you can check, so hopefully someone else will come up with better suggestions...
Tariq Subra
Occasional Advisor

I stopped and restarted the problem dissappeared.
Nilesh Purwar

Restart the dmisp daemon, utilization will come down to normal.

/sbin/init.d/Dmisp stop
/sbin/init.d/Dmisp start
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

If you don't know what the process does and it may be too dangerous to just kill it, you may want to renice it so that other more important processes can get their work done.