5403 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Red Hat Linux on Notebook Pavilion ze5185

Andre_29
Occasional Contributor

Red Hat Linux on Notebook Pavilion ze5185

Hello,

I'm trying to install Red Hat Linux 8.0 on HP notebook pavilion ze5185 but I'm having troubles with keyboard. When I boot the CD, the kernel loads, and then Red Hat Linux shows me a screen where I should press to start graphical mode or "linux text " to start text mode. In this screen, I can use my keyboard properly. After I press , to start graphical mode installation, Red Hat Linux loads the PC Cards Devices. OK.

After this screen, Red Hat Linux shows me a screen where I should select "SKIP" or "TEST", to test my CDs (integrity). I should use <- and -> to select one option, but my keyboard doesn't work at this screeen and I cannot chose any option.. and I cannot proceed the instalation. What is happening? What should I do?

OBS: the problem, I think, is with Red Hat Linux, because I've tested others distros and they work properly, without keyboard's troubles.

Thank you, Andre.
2 REPLIES 2
Venkata_2
Occasional Contributor

Re: Red Hat Linux on Notebook Pavilion ze5185

Hi Andre,
When you boot from the CD you should be getting a prompt like
boot:
At that prompt enter
linux nousb idebus=66. I think this is because the installer expects a USB keyboard or something.
Rob Berry_1

Re: Red Hat Linux on Notebook Pavilion ze5185

you have probably figured it out by now but I am just coming upon your question. I had the same problem on my ze5170, exactly. I tried different distros and they didn't have the keyboard trouble. You have to keep hitting keys when the kernel is loading and see that the keys are shown while the kernel is loading. The keyboard will then work for the rest of the installation and will work normally with Red Hat.

Hope this helps,
Rob
how do you do that again?