108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote admin products

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alex_133
Advisor

Remote admin products

I'm looking for a remote admin hardware which provides features like power-on,power-off, console access. I've been using HP's TopTools, Secure Web Console and Remote Insight, but I doubt these hardware is tied to particular series of the vendor's server family.

Is there a "universal" remote admin hardware which works on x86 PC? I need that to admin some
Linux boxeslocated in remote area, which I sometime need to access the console right after it was boot up. (u know, do things like select different kernel to boot from Lilo/GRUB, changing BIOS CMOS settings, etc).
5 REPLIES 5
Goran Koruga
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi.

You have products that allow you to do that, they can transmit the VGA screen and all the rest to the remote box using TCP/IP, but they cost a lot.

It would be much easier if your hardware can be operated entirely via console, this is not a problem for GRUB/kernel, but not many machines have a BIOS that can be accessed this way.

But if you have it, I recommend you to check this stuff :

http://www.jfc.org.uk/software/conc.html

It worked fine for us when we were testing it on LAN. Of course you could as well use minicom or something similar.

G.
Sergejs Svitnevs
Honored Contributor

Digi terminal server delivers standart serial-to-Ethernet connectivity.

check out the following link :
www.digi.com

Regards,
Sergejs
Alex_133
Advisor

thanks for the reply, but the above 2 doesn't seem to fit into my situation, my main purpose is to able to monitor the boot process(from POST into Kernel Loading) remotely, so that I have an idea on the messages on the console, I can know why the machine doesn't boot with the new kernel i have just compile, panic messages, etc.

Or even system messages like "cannot find boot partition", "keyboard is not detected", etc...
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Lets see..

You can get remote/ip based KVM's now-days, you could possibly use one of them.

Also, depending on the type of server, you might have some built-in remote manageability (the HP NetServer L servers all had this).

Failing that, you could always tell the kernel that you have a serial console, and pump everything to an attached modem or something.

All possabilities..
One long-haired git at your service...
Alex_133
Advisor

Yes! remote/ip based KVM is exactly the keyword I'm looking for, I found a couple, here is one(http://www.kvmpartnership.co.uk/eric.htm) that match perfectly of my requirement, thank you guys!!