1752805 Members
5550 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RH 8.0 - sound driver for HP Kayak XA

Seb_4
Valued Contributor

RH 8.0 - sound driver for HP Kayak XA

I just installed Red-Hat 8.0 and noticed it did not install the drivers for the sound card, I ran the soundcard detection utility and yet it could not find my sound card.

It was working properly 2 hours ago when the box was running windows95.

Additional info: I installed it using LinuxCOE image (hp).

Please help.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As far as I remember, some HP Kayaks use a customized soundcard named "Aztech Bolero", which is based on AZT2320 chip.
There is no standard driver in the current Linux kernels (2.2.x, 2.4.x). However, Alsa supports it (http://www.alsa-project.org).

If you feel comfortable to compile it by yourself, download the driver at Alsa project web and install it. Otherwise, you may find some RPMs at http://rpmfind.net.

Alsa sound card drivers will be part of the next Linux kernels (2.6? 3.0?). In the mean time, if you need help to compile Alsa drivers, please post another message.

Good luck.

Kodjo

cat /proc/bus/isapnp/devices

P.S. Could you please post the result of the following command :

cat /proc/bus/isapnp/devices
Learn and explain...
Seb_4
Valued Contributor

Kodjo,

Thanks for the valuable info.
I have just started experimenting on Linux and for long I was looking for something chalenging and I think If found it :)

The result of the cat was " file not found"

Thanks again,
Seb
skiser
Valued Contributor

It depends on the Kayak XA. The original Kayak XA, LX chipset, 233/266/300/333 PII has an onboard AD1816 sound chip.

The Kayak XA_05 and the Kayak XA-S both used the Aztech card. Look on the back of the unit and see if it's a card or if it's on the systemboard. These would be PII/PIII units. IIRC starting at PII400.

This doesn't rule out a different card being added.

HTH
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
Seb_4
Valued Contributor

Skiser,

It is a PII 233 inboard sound card, the model is XA KL/233.

Let me know if that helps,
Thanks for your assistance.
Seb