1753965 Members
7472 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rlpstat - Unable to open/create log file

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

rlpstat - Unable to open/create log file

I get the following message when I run rlpstat on any remote printer.

rlpstat -d some_printer

printer queue for some_printer
Unable to open/create log file

The response seems to be coming from the remote print server. I have checked permissions on both the requesting and receiving server and everything looks fine. I tried suing tusc to see if it would give me any useful info, but that didn't help. Googling for this was a complete loss. Any ideas on where to start next would be appreciated.

"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I tried suing tusc

Did you use tusc on rlpstat on on rlpdaemon. The error message comes from the rlpdaemon on the receiving server. Try using tusc there if you did not.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Also see if rlpdaemon is started up with the "-l logfile" option is /etc/inetd.conf and the logfile does not exist or there is a problem with its name, location etc.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Argh. I found the issue. I overlooked the permissions of lpd.log. For some reason it was owned by root instead of lp. I changed the perms and everything is fine now.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"