5570 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Samba

Mark Parsons
Valued Contributor

Samba

Hi, I've added a share to Samba and I'm getting the following message:

"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request".

Can anybody help in the diagnosis?

Kind Regards,

Mark Parsons - Ernst and Young

12 REPLIES 12
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Re: Samba

Were you getting the error

Is it on HP-UX or Windows

For windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/w2000Msgs/3872.mspx
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Could you provide the command which gives the above error

Let us know which is the Samba server(Win or HP-UX_
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
eric roseme
Respected Contributor

Hi Mark,

I easily duplicated your error message by shutting down my domain controller and then trying to mount a share on my HP CIFS Server with my Windows client. So then with the (limited) data that you have supplied, the likely problem is a DC issue - either it is down, or the CIFS/Samba server is mis-configured for the password server.

If you cannot get it working after reading this, then post your smb.conf file, and we'll go from there.

Eric Roseme
Hewlett-Packard
Mark Parsons
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies. The error is occuring when mapping on the windows pc. The folder share when mapping the network drive is \\unix-box\test where test is a folder on the unix box.

I've attached our smb.conf

Kind Regards,

Mark P.
Mark Parsons
Valued Contributor

Hi,

What needs to be on the domain controller for security=domain to work?

Obviously if we set security=share or security=user then it works.

Cheers,

Mark P.
eric roseme
Respected Contributor

you need to join the domain. Post your HP-UX version, CIFS/Samba version (smbd -V), and Windows version (2000, 2003, 2003R2).

Assuming that you have current versions, then for "security=domain", you would need to do a "net rpc join -U administrator%password" (insecure with the password on the command line).

With your current configuration, it's possible that you are trying to authenticate a user to a CIFS server that has no domain membership, so it cannot locate a domain controller.

Eric
Mark Parsons
Valued Contributor

Hi,

We are running HP 11.11

smbd is Version 3.0.22 based HP CIFS Server A.02.03.01

Windows is Windows 2003.

Kind Regards,

Mark P.
eric roseme
Respected Contributor

Okay - then a "net rpc join" should fix you up.

Eric
Mark Parsons
Valued Contributor

Hi Eric,

Its actual active directory we are using so what does the following mean:

# net ads join
Host is not configured as a member server.
Invalid configuration. Exiting...

Cheers,

Mark P.