Operating System - HP-UX
1748280 Members
3816 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sendmail and Service Guard: changing the To address from hostname.

Andrew Young_2
Honored Contributor

Sendmail and Service Guard: changing the To address from hostname.

Hi.

I have recently upgraded my HP-UX 11.31 servers from 11.23. I have had to redo the email configuration to set up sendmail correctly.

However I'm having an annoying problem.

Our batch processing system is part of a Service Guard Cluster so I would like to keep the individual hostnames invisible. Our cluster name is ops and the two nodes are prod1 and prod2.

However if I send mail to an alias hosted on the local server, which acts as a distribution list, sendmail immediately appends the hostname (prod2.mydomain) instead of the ops.mydomain to the recipient address.

I was for a moment thinking it was a change to mailx, however this behavior only changed when we moved from the sendmail 8.11.1 (V9/Berkeley) to the sendmail 8.13.3 (V10/Berkeley) configuration files.

The masquerade option is set (DMops.mydomain) and the sender has the correct domain, but not the recipient.

Any assistance in this regard would be appreciated.

Regards

Andrew Y
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes
3 REPLIES 3
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Re: Sendmail and Service Guard: changing the To address from hostname.

Did you remember to stop and restart sendmail after you edited the sendmail.cf file, for it to take effect?

/usr/sbin/sendmail stop
/usr/sbin/sendmail start

Also, we ran into something not long ago. We had changed our sendmail.cf and stop/started sendmail. But it still wasn't working right.
We found a file we couldn't recall putting there /etc/mail/submit.cf - and it seemed it was taking it's lead from there.
We moved that file to submit.cf.old, did a stop/start on sendmail again, and then sendmail was reading the DM entry and other changes we had made.

Just a couple thoughts,
Rgrds,
Rita

Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

sorry...as soon as I hit enter I went ... dah..

/sbin/init.d/sendmail stop
/sbin/init.d/sendmail start

Andrew Young_2
Honored Contributor

Hi Rita

Thanks. Your response gave me the clue that I needed.

The Dj macro in the submit.cf file was not set. Setting it to ops.mydomain solved the problem.

Thank you.

Regards

Andrew Y

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes