New Discussion юеВ

sound & Linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Josef Forman
Frequent Advisor

sound & Linux

Hi everybody,
what about music? I use SUSE 9.1 - I think it's really great distro, but when I'm playing music, time to time I hear some noise (something like old vinyl records). Previous version of distro was even worst.

anyone\anything can help me?
11 REPLIES 11
Francisco J. Soler
Honored Contributor

Re: sound & Linux

Hi,

Please, could you give us some more details?

What kind of software are you using to play music?

This happen always with the same software or with any other one?

Frank.
Linux?. Yes, of course.
Josef Forman
Frequent Advisor

Mainly xmms.
Jan Sladky
Trusted Contributor

Hi AliG

I have had exactly same experience, I have expected the kernel 2.6 will a litle better for music than in the fact is (even if is much better than 2.4 as you mentioned)

Maybe it is already not kernel feature (I'm not familiar with kernel developping) but only codec issue.

I suggest to try another player , e.g noatun
I have better experience than xmms with it from 2.4.x kernel, maybe it will be same on 2.6.

hope this will help you

br Jan
GSM, Intelligent Networks, UNIX
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

i've seen this problem on windows boxen when the grounding isn't proper.

check you power cables and wiring, and be sure your powersupply is actually grounding your case (because the pci mounting bracket is expected to be grounded).
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

Background noise can be caused if your soundcard is in a slot next to certain other adapter cards, or the computer and/or speakers are close to a device that generates noise. Have you tried comparing this using say dual boot into Windows?
Josef Forman
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
i think cables and all the wirings are correct. I use Toshiba notebook and under dual system (WinXP) is everything OK.
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Problem is certainly not due to kernel, and probably not to XMMS, but more likely to the module you're using.

Could you post output from "lsmod" and "cat /etc/modules.conf" ?

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Josef Forman
Frequent Advisor

Output of lsmod command is in attachments. But /etc/modules.conf seems to be zero size.

PF
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

:) What an lsmod ! Did you compiled yourself or is this the Suse kernel ?

Nevermind, you seem to use OSS. I would try to use alsa instead : http://www.alsa-project.org/

Could you post output from "lspci -vv" ?

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)