Operating System - HP-UX
1753809 Members
9044 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tape Drive Software for HP UNIX

Devang Joshi

Tape Drive Software for HP UNIX

I am having my central database on HP-UNIX box. HP-DAT Drive has been installed in the server. We use 'tar' command for backing up data.

1. I want to remove contants ( Archive files of Oracle Database ) - How can I ? Which Command ?

2. Is there any software to manage TAPE Drive
in HP-UNIX ? I have used Windows based software ( Yoesemite Tapeware ) for managing DAT Drive. It was having many facilities for managing like Formating / Scheduling / email of log files etxc. My Question is : is there any software for managing TAPE Drive ?

2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Tape Drive Software for HP UNIX

>We use 'tar' command for backing up data.

If you HP's Data Protector, it will use its own format and manage the tapes.

>1. I want to remove contents

You want to make it so nobody can see the existing data on the tape?

>2. Is there any software to manage TAPE Drive?

There is Data Protector.
http://h18026.www1.hp.com/products/software/im/biz_continuity_avail/dataprotector/index.html
Rasheed Tamton
Honored Contributor

Re: Tape Drive Software for HP UNIX

>. I want to remove contants ( Archive files of Oracle Database

You want to delete files, if I take your question correctly. Then it is rm command.

>2. Is there any software to manage TAPE Drive

if you are looking for a backup tool, then fbackup is the home tool on hp-ux. You can use other unix tools also like tar, cpio, vxdump, etc.

If you want a GUI based tool to do all those you mentioned above, Data Protector is the backup tool from HP-UX and there are few more third party backup tools such as legato, veritas, Tivoli, etc - all are bit expensive.