1753888 Members
7501 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

This may be useful to some of you

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

This may be useful to some of you

We recently purchased a few rx6600's running 11.31. I noticed it uses a sort of devfs now. Anyway, I plugged in a usb thumb drive and the OS picked it up. The device showed up as

/dev/deviceFileSystem/Usb/MassStorage/dsk/disk@UnknownDevice-5451+5=6E68030013AC

I was able to format the drive with vxfs and mount it. Maybe that will be of use to some of you out there. I thought it was pretty cool.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
2 REPLIES 2

Re: This may be useful to some of you

Court,

I would make the point that you "got lucky" here - in many cases USB flash drives do work with HP-UX, but they aren't officially supported (except I think for one HP DriveKey II device), and can have unexpected results. I seem to recall someone posting on the forums a while ago that their 11.31 system paniced when they pulled the USB key out.

So use with caution.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Re: This may be useful to some of you

Funny. I was thinking about that last night. I was wondering if someone would pull the drive without umount'ing it first, etc. We'll see.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"