1752565 Members
5354 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to use graphical login except as root: "login incorrect"

Sharon Prothero
Frequent Advisor

Unable to use graphical login except as root: "login incorrect"

I know this has probably been done to death before, but I can't find any previous threads which help me.

I have a zx6000 IA64 workstation running HP-UX 11.23. Logins using root are fine, but non-root accounts can only get non-graphical logins. If I try to login via CDE, either directly on the system or remotely using Exceed or Xming, we just get a "login incorrect" message. This has worked in the past, but at some point it stopped working. The set-up of this system has been "unchanged" for a long while (in quotes because something has changed, but I don't know what!)

I know the accounts/passwords are OK because we can login using telnet.

Name resolution works; this system is an NIS slave and is bound to itself and the databases are up-to-date.

The login shells are listed in /etc/shells and the shells exist, although some entries are symbolic links to cope with different paths on HP-UX and RHEL.

I get no error log or startlog files in $HOME/.dt and if I create a new, blank home area .dt is not created.

The disk is not full.

/etc/nsswitch.conf looks OK (copy attached).

Any suggestions of what else I need to check will be given suitable points scores.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

login incorrect - maybe you have a different keyboard mapping and because of this you type a wrong password?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Sharon Prothero
Frequent Advisor

nice idea - there is a bit of a US/UK keyboard mapping issue, but the username is plain alpha-numeric and I get the same error even when I remove the password. We get the same error for multiple accounts from multiple different locations - local console and at least three different PCs running two or three different X-servers. It feels more like something on the system, probably something really obvious and dumb. I spend too much time these days playing with Windows and Linux and not enough on HP-UX cos usually once they're set up they just work (we've just switched off a B1000 workstation with an up time of nearly 5 years).
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Sharon,

Try running the dr_dt script and check for permission problems.

/etc/hosts
/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/resolv.conf
/var/adm/inetd.sec

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Sharon Prothero
Frequent Advisor

I forgot to mention that I ran dr_dt and made the permission changes it suggested and that made no difference.
Sharon Prothero
Frequent Advisor

I've done a bit more work and this seems to have something to do with the NIS set-up - if I copy account details from the NIS master to the local /etc/passwd file, I can login without any problems.