1752793 Members
6302 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

when to use Linux SMP kernel?

Anthony_141
Regular Advisor

when to use Linux SMP kernel?

We have ML350 G5 with a single Dual-Core Xeon processor.

We loaded Redhat ES 4 and on bootup, it defaults to the SMP version of the kernel.

With one processor (though it is dual-core), should we be using the SMP or non-SMP kernel?

How would we know this ourselves - is there a good document explaining this anywhere?

What advantage (if any) would the SMP kernel give us, or would it depend on what applications we were running?
5 REPLIES 5
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Re: when to use Linux SMP kernel?

You need an SMP kernel.

SMP means symmetric multiprocessing, as in 'multiple cpus are doing Your work'. A dual core cpu is essentially two cpus in the packaging of one, so You need to run an smp kernel.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Use it if you have more than one cpu or hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Anthony_141
Regular Advisor

Can anyone then expain if you can have hyperthreading enabled, under what circumstances would you disable it?

Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Some older applications and hardware get confused about what Hyper-threading is.

If it's modern (i.e. last 5-6 years or so), then you turn it on, and never think about it again.

With RHEL4 and a G5 series server, turn it on and leave it on.
One long-haired git at your service...
Anthony_141
Regular Advisor

non issue for us now as we are going to purchase different servers than the G5 (last we heard anyway)