Operating System - Linux
1753529 Members
4969 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: X11 on a pavllion n5340

Adam_38

X11 on a pavllion n5340

I have installed linux on my n5340 and I can get x to run. The problem I am having is that I can't seem to change the resolution. I just used X -configure to make the XF86Config. I was wonding if anyone new how I could change the resolution so I can have 1024x768 or if anyone has the hsynch and the vsynch so i can run xf86config. I havent been able to find the specs for the display.

thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

What display are you using?
Could you post your XF86Config?

If you know someone else who has the same monitor and video card, but is running windows 98, have them jot down the video refresh rates when they switch to your prefered resolution. Then just use those numbers in your config file. (I actually had a similar deal -- I have a monitor I share between my linux box and a windows box. when I blew away my previous linux installation and started over with RH 7.3, I used that trick to find the monitor's happy freqs. I just swapped to the resolution I wanted to use on the Linux box and noted the refresh rates, and voila! values to plug into my config file.)

hth
Mark
Adam_38

the display is a TFT Lcd
video card is S3 savage/mv

i dunno where to find the hsynch and vsynch in windows

Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

If you could post your XF86Config file, (or XF86Config-4 depending on which you're using), it would be beneficial.

In general, a mode line like:
# 1024x768 @ 60 Hz, 48.4 kHz hsync
Modeline "1024x768" 65 1024 1032 1176 1344
768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync

should probably work. With the Screen setting for generic LCD.

Looking back through my notes, I see that my method to discover the real refresh rate my win98 box was using was to switch resolutions on the fly, and jot down the refresh and horizontal sweep frequencies as my multisync monitor displayed them. (Some multisync monitors will flash their video modes on the screen as they decode the input from a video source, your monitor mayhap does not.)

hth
Mark