4558 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

XFree86 configuration on Omnibook XT1500

Andreas Eckstein
Occasional Contributor

XFree86 configuration on Omnibook XT1500

Hi!

I'm trying to configure XFree86 properly on my machine but there are several problems:

1. Using the yast2-auto-detected 'fbdev' graphics driver, I cannot change resolution and color depth, so my desktop is surrounded by a huge ugly black frame of unused display. Is it possible to solve this problem using fbdev, or should I use another driver?

2. I can't get the savage 4 driver working (from: www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html), although VIA tells me that it should work fine with the P4N266-Board and the ProSavageDDR Graphics-Chip(www.viaarena.com/?PageID=89).
Has anyone succeeded here (especially anyone using a XT1500 and/or using said VIA resource)?

Can you help?
Thanks in advance!

P. S.:
System Info:
Machine: Omnibook XT 1500
Graphics: S3 ProSavageDDR
Board: P4N266
4 REPLIES 4
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Re: XFree86 configuration on Omnibook XT1500

Hello Andreas,

Please post /etc/X11/XF86Config and /var/log/XFree86.0.log files.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
James Wilson_5
Frequent Advisor

The savage 4 (Twister) works out of the box with XFree86 ver.4.2 you don't need to download any other drivers.
If you cannot get XFree 4.2 you can make the FB go full screen by adding a bootline parameter to grub/lilo. Something like vga=0x317. The 0x317 will give you a nice 1024x768 screen for text and XFree in FB mode.

Read the man pages for grub/lilo.
Andreas Eckstein
Occasional Contributor

configuring lilo worked! wo-hoo! thanks a lot!

but what i still need to use savage_drv instead of fbdev are some correct modelines for my display? does anyone know where to get those? hp support told me to refer to the manual, but the info there is insufficient...
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Below is an XF86Config for an Omnibook XT1000. Couldn't locate a XT1500 config, but the 1000 uses the same chipset, so should be close.

http://www.sbellon.de/config/XF86Config-4

hth
Mark