Re: yet another HP-UX newbie

SOLVED
Go to solution
sombriks
Advisor

yet another HP-UX newbie

hi all i have an itanium here:

HP-UX hmlsrv08 B.11.23 U ia64 4246253199 unlimited-user license

i have a little background on linux but this thing is different.

for now, i have 2 questions:

1- install packages seems strange. I use swinstall -s /path/to/some/file.depot but it isn't enough; i have to use CDE's visual thing and select an option called "Options>Change Options>All targets to resolve the source locally" and then it installs the depots. Is there any whay to do the same just using command line?

2- acc compiler comes bundled with those dvd's or do i need to download it from somewhere?

3- i miss bash a lot. is there any way to install it on that box?

4- i want to use CDE occasionally. i am able to do a "X -query 192.168.0.8" from any linux machine and work on it, but for some reason dtterm isn't reading .profile by default. where can i set my PS1 and other variables to be used for dtterm?

5- how can i add icons on that bar? i've tried to drag executables but it starts to ask me for parameters. I would like to learn "the correct way".

6- is there some good native code editor? i have some C/Java to handle and for now i'm using gnome+virtual file system and ssh sessions to compile code.

any answer will be welcome, i thank for the attention.
6 REPLIES 6
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>Is there any way to do the same just using command line?

Just add the names of the products you want to install or use \* for everything, to the end of the command.

2) If you purchased a license, you can unlock the version on the application DVD.

3) You can download it from the porting center. Do NOT change root's shell!
http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Shells/bash-4.0.024/

6) Other than vi? :-) There's vim and eclipse.
sombriks
Advisor

hey, thank you!

about the license, it cames pre-installed in that box, i'll ask my managers or seek in the boxes.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> 4- i want to use CDE occasionally. i am able to do a "X -query 192.168.0.8" from any linux machine and work on it, but for some reason dtterm isn't reading .profile by default. where can i set my PS1 and other variables to be used for dtterm?

Normal (but undesirable) behavior for all the terminal emulators (dtterm, hpterm, xterm). In your $HOME directory, add the following line to .Xdefaults:

echo "*loginShell: true" >> $HOME/.Xdefaults

This tells the shell to behave normally during a login.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

3- i miss bash a lot. is there any way to install it on that box?

HPUX supports bash

after login, type bash
or change your settings in /etc/passwd
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

1) Sounds like swinstall has problems identifying what is local and what isn't. This is usually caused by changing the network parameters of the system without rebooting *and* without stopping&restarting swagentd.

Make sure your HP-UX can resolve its own hostname/IP address.
- check that the server's own IP address is correctly specified in /etc/hosts
- run "nslookup hmlsrv08" (or whatever is the hostname of your server). The response should include the correct IP address and hostname of your server.
- run "nslookup ". The response should be essentially the same as in the previous test.

Then restart swagentd, the daemon part of swinstall and other sw* tools:
sh /sbin/init.d/swagentd stop
sh /sbin/init.d/swagentd start

MK
MK
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

> 1- install packages seems strange. I use swinstall -s /path/to/some/file.depot but it isn't enough

In addition to Matti's caveat, if you want to avoid an interactive installation you need to tell 'swinstall' the name of the bundle or product or patch to install, or specify the entire depot's contents. For example:

# swinstall -s /path/to/some/file.depot IGNITE

# swinstall -s /path/to/some/file.depot \*

In the second example, you must escape the '*' to prevent the shell from expanding it.

Regards!

...JRF...