108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE 3PAR 7400 Erase/Wipe Disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
arifr
Occasional Contributor

HPE 3PAR 7400 Erase/Wipe Disks

We are using HPE 3PAR 7400 system and recently moving to another SAN. After 3PAR is disconencted from our VMware environment, we will need to make sure all disks are completely wiped/erased in a way that data cannot be retrieved anymore. 3PAR management console that we are using is version 4.5.0.36.

I was looking for a menu in the console which can be used for wiping disks. Or even a command-line.

Will these command work for our case? Found it in another thread. Does it ensure full wipe?

"removevlun -f -pat *"

"removevv -f -pat *"

Anyone can help?

7 REPLIES 7
apol
Frequent Advisor

Re: HPE 3PAR 7400 Erase/Wipe Disks

Hi, deleting all vvs and cpgs should wipe all chunklets. In the sp ssh-Interface there's a wipe-option, but the passwort is afaik not available for customers -> you need HPE support for that.

Advantage of wipe with the sp functionality: you get the spare chunks wiped as well. I'm not sure if "removespare a:a" wipes spare chunks as well.

Both ways "wipe" with zeroing everything. If you want something like overwriting with random patterns or alternating zeros and ones or whatever, build-in functionality is not enough.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

As you get rid of volumes, the allocated chunklets will be put in the initialiation queue to be zeroed out.

Use the "showpd -c" command then again ten or fifteen minutes later. That will give you a rough idea how long it will take to zero out all the chunklets.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

arifr
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

So is my understanding correct that after I delete a VV, it zeros out chunklets of that VV and doesn't wait for CPG removal?

We just need to make sure that its fully cleaned (data is completely wiped) because the same SAN will be used by another company.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

Delete any VLUNs, delete all volumes. If the system has SSD drives and flash cache, delete that. Compact CPGs. Don't need to delete them, just reclaim unused logical disk space.

Then wait for both uninit queues on each physical disk to fully drain.

1. removevlun
  2. removevv
  3. removeflashcache
  4. compactcpg
  5. showpd -c

See the HPE 3PAR Command Line Interface Reference for detailed information on the above commands.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

arifr
Occasional Contributor

Ok thank you for your reply.

dgaliffa
Occasional Visitor

Would this kind of wipe or erasure be sufficient if the 3PAR were used in a Hospital? Does HPE have a different function for wiping medical data or is there a better process that can be taken to cover this type of erasure?

vicvic35
Visitor

HPE provides services (at a cost) for a secure wipe that will provide you with a confirmation report. HIPPA does not specifiy the process requried to wipe or distroy a hard drive, but having the report on hand definately helps show your organization made an appropriate attempt to protect PHI. 

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/5981-9510ENW.pdf 

There's plenty of software out there that can do Data Wiping at a variety of Erasure Standards. It just takes some set up and plenty of time chug along - but you wont have an official certificate.