New Discussion

Re: HP 3PAR OS files on SP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Noss
Occasional Advisor

HPE 3PAR OS Files on SP

Hello,

I wonder if someone could shed some light. I read in the 7000 Service Guide -Installing Storage System Manually section, the HP 3PAR OS files must first be installed onto the SP in order to communicate and add a storage system.

I installed a 7000, the manual way, and did not perform this step but was still able to sucessfully add the 3PAR system to the SP and perform other functions e.g. OS updates, run commands via the SP.

Does this mean the OS files were already loaded or does this step still need to be performed?

8 REPLIES 8
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Does this mean the OS files were already loaded or does this step still need to be performed?

Most likely.  But if you need to get patches or a newer release, you'll need to get those OS files.

Noss
Occasional Advisor

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for response.

When you say Most Likely. Most likely the OS files were already installed or I need to install them on the SP?

I'm not quite sure why, in the Service Guide you have to install the OS files onto the SP? I did not perform this step but managed to add the 3PAR to the SP and since staged and updated the 3PAR OS to the latest release. 

Is staging the 3PAR OS releases for updating,  the same process?

What effect does not installing the 3PAR OS Files on to the SP have on the system as a whole?

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

The SP must be used for 3PAR OS upgrades it is not needed for 3PAR installation.

3PAR works fine without an SP it is needed for alerts comunicating with HP and it can

also automaticly download upgrade files from HP (dosn't allways work)

Regards

Noss
Occasional Advisor

When I login to SPMAINT, I see the following message

>>>>>>>>>>>  HP 3PAR OS software has not been installed!  <<<<<<<<<<<

However the 3PAR System has been paired with SP? Should I be concerned with the above message?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

This may help:

[broken link removed on <4/11/2017> by Mod]  

It *was* important to have the same versions on the SP in case of a node rescue procedure (made from the SP previously), but now this is done from node to node.

In case of an update you need to stage the new version to the SP first, then upgrade the array (see document).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Noss
Occasional Advisor

Hi Torsten,

It appears some VSP OVF files do not have the Inform OS files integrated. I was expecting the one I had used(being the latest version) to be integrated.

Thanks for your response. I have now uploaded and staged the latest OS files.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>When you say Most Likely. Most likely the OS files were already installed or I need to install them on the SP?

The former.  Also the array could already have a base OS and you still need to make sure the SP has the same version.

CorbettEnders
Advisor

Could someone please post an updated link to the PDF referenced above? I can't seem to find it.