108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: LUNs Snapshots doesnt autmatically closed by backup software

owahid
Frequent Advisor

LUNs Snapshots doesnt autmatically closed by backup software

3parLUN Snapshot not closed.jpg

Hello

I have installed 3par hardware vss on all hosts , the backup software "veeam" is useing this software to create a storage LUn snapshot and close the snapshot after taking the backup ,

I discovered some snapshot volumes started its name with VSS  is still exist and doesnt closed , what should I do?  will be it save to remove this snapshot LUNs?

5 REPLIES 5
Dardan
Trusted Contributor

Hi @owahid ,

Just to make sure I'm understanding your question. The snapshots are created by a thirdparty software (Veeam), but they're not removed once the retention period of Veeam is reached?
What 3PAR OS and MU are you running?

It is not related to retention poclicy , it is related to a created snapshot for storage LUN to backup vms by veeam using 3par hardwre VSS software installed on hosts and after the backup process finished the snapshot closed at the end of the backup job process not at the end of a retention policy.

the issue is in two 3par systems:

System1 OS: 3.3.1.410 MU2 +P32+33+34+40+45+51+52+60+76+78+80+90+96+P103

System2 OS: 3.2.2.390 MU2+ p14,15,18,19,22,27,29

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

you are using storage integration with Veeam check the logs of Veeam jobs

Regards

owahid
Frequent Advisor

We are not using veeam integration because we have veeam enterprize not enterprize Plus, instead we install 3par hardware VSS on all hosts and the snapshot created by 3par hardware provider

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hi Owahid,

I want to know few details here?

1. Was that working fine before? Were the snapshots getting deleted automatically after successful backup?
2. Since when the issue started? Was there any upgrade/change you think that had caused the issue?
3. Is that issue happening sometimes intermittently or happening always (during every backup)
4. Is the issue happening against successful backups also or the issue is limited to unsuccessful backups or conditional.
5. Have you tried to delete those old 'vss...' snapshots?

Regards,

Srinivas

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo