1752565 Members
5628 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Using non-consecutive LUN numbers for a VVSet

Yehuda_Hyman
Occasional Visitor

Using non-consecutive LUN numbers for a VVSet

IHAC that wants to use only even numbers for their LUN numbers.

If they export 3 volumes (e.g.) without a VVSet, they can specify 2,4,6 as the LUN number and it's fine.

If they export 3 volumes in a VVSet and they try to specify 2,4,6, they get an error that VVSets must have consecutive LUN number.

Is this a GUI limitation? I can't think of any reason this would be a limitation of the 3PAR itself.

Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

No, it's the system. From the CLI reference: CREATEVLUN -- ... "Exports from a VV set must be contiguous" ...

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Yehuda_Hyman
Occasional Visitor

Thank you. Any thoughts as to why that is?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>"Exports from a VV set must be contiguous"

This is no longer true but you have to go through hoops to make them non-contiguous.

I.e. you have to export a VVset, then delete members.  If you then export that VVset to another host, the holes remain.

>they try to specify 2,4,6, they get an error that VVSets must have consecutive LUN number.

The CLI only takes one number, so are you using SSMC?

> Any thoughts as to why that is?

It was designed that way?  Just to remember a starting LUN and simply increment by one.

Yehuda_Hyman
Occasional Visitor

This is no longer true but you have to go through hoops to make them non-contiguous.
I.e. you have to export a VVset, then delete members. If you then export that VVset to another host, the holes remain.

Thanks. I don't see this as an option for them. Too much work upfront.

The CLI only takes one number, so are you using SSMC?

Yep, SSMC.

It was designed that way? Just to remember a starting LUN and simply increment by one.

I know it's certainly easier to do it this way, but apparently some customers have other needs. If we allow it on a group of individual LUNs, there's no technical reason it couldn't be allowed on a set of LUNs.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>If we allow it on a group of individual LUNs, there's no technical reason it couldn't be allowed on a set of LUNs.

You're confusing SSMC client magic (which can be done one LUN at a time) with the vector method of using VVsets.

The former is built into the client.  The latter is built into the HPE 3PAR OS itself.