New Discussion юеВ

Re: Usr, Snapshot and Adm Space

SOLVED
Go to solution
kisalipa
Occasional Advisor

Usr Snapshot and Adm Space

Hi Friends,

I am new to understanding HP 3PAR 10400 and 10800 models we have in our environment.

While trying to understand CPG's, I am not getting what exactly is the ADM space and the exact differences between Snapshot and Usr space. Can someone please give explanation with some example?

I have gone through some docs but not able to figure out the exact meaning.

Thanks in Advance!!

6 REPLIES 6
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Check out HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage Concepts Guide:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04204225

USR: Contains the data of the base VV

SNP: Contains the changes from the base VV and snapshots

ADM: Contains the metadata that describes what has changed (for snapshots)

kisalipa
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Dennis for the reply. The ADM space always shows a 0 for FPVV. Any reason for that??

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

For a Fully Provisioned Virtual Volume, there can be no metadata changes. The entire volume is already there! :)

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

kisalipa
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Sheldon. So I understand metadata has the information of the actual data(indexes of files or user data) that is filling up the Virtual Volume or the CPG??

What I understood earlier was, if the metadata size or ADM size displayed as 512MB for a 500GB TPVV, I felt it is the increments of 512MB as the data fills up the physical capacity??

Please clarify the confusion.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

Sorry, no. The metadata tracks the changes (growth) of a Thin volume, in 32 MB regions. The user data is in the Usr space (in 128 MB regions). A Fully provisioned volume has no growth, therefore no Adm spaec.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

kisalipa
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot Sheldon. Now its clear.

Can you please answer my another post - CPG Growth increments??