1753902 Members
9843 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 9000/D220 to D280 Upgrade Problems

Ryan_4
Advisor

9000/D220 to D280 Upgrade Problems

I am trying to do a D220 to D280 hardware upgrade and I am using the DClass System Upgrade manual as my guide -- http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/A3262-90010.pdf

I've replaced the Power Supply, Memory and CPU cards, but not the Core I/O card.

The Upgrade manual says to run the upgrade script only if I am going from a D210 to a Dx80 -- so, I did not run the script because this is a D220 going to a D280.

When I tried booting the system, all the IO Mapping appears to be different and letting it boot with an auto search for the boot device. It finds a boot device and starts booting.

The system boot bombs with an HPMC failure a few moments after getting past the ISL messeage. It complains about the IO.

1.) Do I need to use the upgrade script?
(If I use this script, the manual says it can render the system unusable if it is run a second time -- so, I am nervous about running it because the manual says I shouldn't need to for a D220 to D280 upgrade -- yet the IO seems to be mapped different -- so, what is wrong?)

2.) Is the Core IO in need of changing (I am getting conflicting messages with people who have upgraded this way in the past saying the Core IO is not needed in this upgrade versus the upgrade manual saying to replace the Core IO as one of its upgrade steps)?

Can anyone help me with what's going on and how I can complete this upgrade.

Thanks,

Tom
5 REPLIES 5
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Tom,

You should (if you haven't already) double check that the cards you have changed are properly seated. Sounds to me like you're just entering into self-tests and failing there.

Pete

Pete
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi Tom,

the only difference between a D220 and a D280 is the processor board. The hardware pathes (I/O Layout) is determinded by the bus topology of the HSC and EISA busses which both reside on the system card (it includes also the Core I/O functions). Because you did not change the System Card, there is no need to run remapping scripts. Of cause the NVRAM settings (like primary boot path) will get lost during the update and have to be reendered (pa command in BCH).

I also think it is a good idea to check if everything is seeted properly. Check if the system comes up with the old board. If yes, you maybe have a defect D280 processor card or the patch level is insufficiant for the faster PA8000 CPUs. Contact you HP support center, they can analyze the HPMC to get an idea about the error cause.
Ryan_4
Advisor

Stefan,

I started with the 11.00 Core OS and applied the Sept. 2003 Critical Patch bundle, before attempting the upgrade from the D220 to D280.

I have been using a processor from another system which is a new HP partnumber of A3262-60058 for the processor and the System Board is a A3262-60002. I believe the official hardware upgrade parts are A3262-69158 for the processor and A3262-69102 for the System Board. Could the difference between these two sets of boards be a contributing factor?

I have removed the two physical disks from the system and replaced them with two virgin disks and then performed a Cold Install. I used the same CD's that I installed the D220 with. When I did this, the hardware was accepted and the system came up. However, I haven't tried to rebuild my LVM structuring with the other volume groups--but the basic boot up issue seems to work.

My dilemna is I need to accomplish the upgrade without having to do a Cold Install, if at all possible. IgniteUX is a possibility, but I am not sure if the other volume groups will be left intact. Any ideas?

One last thought, I just came across patch PHCO_23169 (64 Bit Hardware Enablement patch) and I am going to try this installing patch before I try the upgrade again. Since the processor boards are 64bit, I imagine it would be necessary, although the HP upgrade manual doesn't seem to mention anything about needing HWE patches. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

Ryan_4
Advisor

I looked for the 64bit Processor patch, PHCO_23169 -- it was already there and was in the configured state.

So, now I am back at square one.

So the basic question now is, can you upgrade from a D220 to a D280 without having to reinstall the Operating System which running 11.00 with all appropriate Patches from the Sept. 2003 Support Plus CD? or is it a known fact that one must do a Reinstall (either from CD's or Ignite) in order to perform the hardware upgrade?

Thoughts?

Tom
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I'm not aware of any general problem that requires a reinstallation of the OS. Because you installed the original OS on a D220, you have the 32 bit version of HPUX 11.0. This is normally no problem, because the D280 can run both 32 bit and 64 bit HPUX (caution: no 64 bit EISA card drivers available, if you use EISA cards, install 32 bit version).

It does not sound like a hardware problem, because it works when you reinstall the OS from the original medium. The Part Numbers are OK.

It sounds to me like something is bad with the old operating system and the error only appears when running with the new processor board. This is not easy to troubleshoot. Maybe you installed a bad patch on this system. It may be that Ignite will not help in this situation, because you will reinstall the same OS again. If you decide to try it, no problem. The other volume groups will not be affected by the reinstallation via Ignite.
The only general idea I have in this situation is to install:

1.) HP-UX Hardware Enablement Patch Bundles ( http://software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B3782HWE )

2.) HP-UX 11.0 Quality Pack http://software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=QUALITYPACK

If these bundles do not fix your problem, you either have to reinstall the OS (you can install the 64bit version of 11.0 then and reimport the data VGs) or you have to call a HP response center for help.

Best regards

Stefan