4981 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can not login to console mode

Tamvnit
Advisor

Can not login to console mode

Hi all,

I can login to my console mode by username/pass: root/root.
A few hour before, i change group of director / to group sys and chage it permistion, does my behavior make that consequence ?
What usr/pass should i user to login console mode ?

Thanks,
Tamvnit
3 REPLIES 3
Nico Schockaert
Trusted Contributor

Re: Can not login to console mode

Hello Tamvnit,

Do you mean, you still can login as root on an other terminal (e.g. via telnet), than the problem seems to be in the /etc/securetty file where root cannot login on the console.

If this is not the case, but you only cannot login as root on the console, maybe you need to reset your terminal.

As this is not the case, and the problem is indeed the change of the permissions on the / directory, then most likely you need to reboot your system in single user mode (hpux -is) and change the permissions.

Hope this helps,

Nico
Tamvnit
Advisor

Plz show me more detail about the way to access to Single mode.i'm a new administrator. :D.

Thanks you,
Tamvnit.
Nico Schockaert
Trusted Contributor

Hello Tamvnit,

I suppose you have an HP9000 system, and not an integrity system.

If you still have a root-login : do the following :

# cd /
# shutdown -r 0

See also further below (*).

If you don't have a root-login anymore, than you need to do e switch-off/switch-on the system. Dangerous, but you don't have an other choice.

When the system is saying something like "you have still 10 second to press any key to stop boot-sequence", press "any key".

Then you get the "ISL>" prompt.

There you need to enter "hpux -is" and the system will boot in single user mode.

After you have the unix-prompt, you can change the permisiions.

Hope this helps,

Nico