108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't reach boot menu on 2nd nPar on PA-RISC

SOLVED
Go to solution
Doug Lucy
Advisor

Can't reach boot menu on 2nd nPar on PA-RISC

I have a PA-RISC box with 2 cells split into 2 nPars. I have installed HP-UX on npar 1 and it works fine. I'm now trying to boot npar 2 so as to install HP-UX, but I can't get any activity on the virtual console.

I log in to the primary MP, select CO, select 1 for npar 2, and I'm "connected" to the virtual console. I get no activity even after 10-20 minutes.

The VFP shows that partition is booting, not in an error state. I can reset, reset for reconfiguration, and boot that npar, but I get no activity.

Any ideas? I need to install HP-UX or restore an Ignite-UX tape.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Phil uk
Honored Contributor
Solution

Can you post the MP logs:
Ctrl B
SL

Capture the FPL (Forward progress logs)
Capture the Error logs

They may give an indication as to where the activity stops and what the machine is/was doing.

What Model of server do you have?
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

Another thought:
I don't know the background as to whether you are reconfiguring as existing single Npar system, but do you have a secondary MP & LAN SCSI card to support the secondary cell.
This is a bit of a generic statement though as I don't know the server type that you have.
Doug Lucy
Advisor

Good questions!

This is a rp8400 complex with two cells, two MP cards, two I/O somethings, one DVD-ROM, one DAT, and two removable drives. The DVD drive is visible to nPar 1 and *I hope* the DAT is visible to nPar 2, should we ever get that one running. We've also got a VA7400 directly attached via FC-AL.

I've attached a listing from MP's error log. Hope that helps. HP hw support thinks it's something simple, but they're still researching it.

The specific history on this is as follows:

Refurb'ed unit purchased years ago and physically connected in a rack. Not powered on.

Recently powered on, installed HP-UX 11i on nPar 1 (it was already there), that worked great. I can see the drives, the VA, the network, etc.

Tried to create nPar 2 using parmgr (web-based) and it tells me there is no 2nd core I/O card. However, I can see the 2nd MP card and it's all green, so had HP come out and replace the slave MP card.

Now parmgr can see the 2nd core I/O card and will allow me to create nPar 2. However, during boot of nPar 2, it hangs and never reaches BCH, so I can't install anything.
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

OK,

From your comments:
"Refurb'ed unit purchased years ago and physically connected in a rack. Not powered on."

and

"Recently powered on" & "so had HP come out and replace the slave MP card."

You MAY have differing firmware on your MP cards, one of which (the replaced card), may be "out of step" with the rest of the machines firmware.

Can you post a SYSREV output:
CTRL B
CM
CM>SYSREV

Regards,
Phil
Doug Lucy
Advisor

Turns out the replacement MP card was bad, too. So, a second replacement and a firmware upgrade all the way around made it all work. Thanks everyone!
Doug Lucy
Advisor

The MP card was bad, the replacement MP card was bad, but the THIRD card stayed up!