New Discussion юеВ

Re: Changing monitors on a D350

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

Changing monitors on a D350

Hello,

I am trying to replace a HP A4033A monitor (1280x1024x(50-120Hz) that connects to a D350 using a standard SVGA card and a RGB-SVGA cable. I want to replace it with an NCS RKP115-801 Monitor/KVM. Currently the RKP115-801 comes up with an "out of range message as the max range for the RKP115-801 is 1024x768x75hz. What do I need to configure on the D350 to work within the RKP115-801 range??

tks
Cathy
10 REPLIES 10
Doug Burton
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Cathy,

Not sure if this helps but I remember the old(er) monitors sync'd on green while "standard" monitors sync on red (I think). The monitor may not work on your server due to this problem.
RolandH
Honored Contributor

Start til runlevel 2 and then login as root.

# /opt/graphics/common/bin/setmon

will start a dialog where you can choose your new screen resolution. Then bring your system up to runlevel 3.

Roland
Sometimes you lose and sometimes the others win
Pedro Cosmen
Valued Contributor

Hello Cathy,

You probably are trying to connect a monitor that doesn├В┬┤t supports sync on green,(note that now you have a monitor with just three connectors, R=Red, G=Green+V-Sync+H-Sync and B=blue) and then your new monitor doesn├В┬┤t receive any sync signal, so it cannot get the correct frequency to work.

Reg
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi cathy,

Depending upon the type of card you may find that the new monitor wont work.

The older cards only supported 72hz.

You will need to check that the monitor supports the resolution and frequency that the card throws out.

regardless of hpux settings you should be able to get it to come up at pdc level.
If you find out what card it is you will be able to esatablish whether or not it can be changed.

You could connect a serial console to the D Class and then boot to pdc on this. You can configure some graphics cards here.
go into the "co" menu and look at the available settings for the graphics card and monitor.

Andy

Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

Well I checked and the monitor and card were produced in 1995 (opps, just a bit old)

When I tried using the setmon command it came back with the HPA208LC1280 graphics device represented by the "/dev/crt" device file does not support ./setmon

Me thinks I'm S.O.L.

Any other ideas?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If you mean that you put a PC video card into the D350, that will never work. Neither the selftest code nor the opsystem has any support for PC I/O cards. There were a couple of cards used just for the D-class that have drivers and required support in the processor ROMs but this is definitely not a PC running Windows. You'll have to use the D-class video card and a compatible monitor. The A4033A is really big, but if you want something smaller, the A4032A is a good replacement and really cheap these days.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

nope, I used the card that works with the RGB monitor, that's been in the machine since we got it, the card is definatly the one for the D350, that's why I don't understand why I got the message "the HPA208LC1280 graphics device represented by the "/dev/crt" device file does not support ./setmon"

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi cathy,

looking further into this the only 2 hp cards to work in the d class were
A4077A standard vga connection
A4450A evc connection
so you must have the A4077A card.

Setmon will not work with these older cards and types of interfaces.

the A4077A has a default setting of 1280x1024 and there is no way to change it from that. Once the console path has been changed to the graphics, the card automatically sets itself upto the monitor.

I'm afraid if the new monitor cannot meet the cards requirements its not going to work.
This link tells you abit about the cards

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90122/ch05s03.html

Andy
Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

Thank you everyone, I really didn't think that I could use the KVM, but had "powers above" not understanding that. Hopefully the will now.

Cathy