1753684 Members
5619 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Connect Mercury Jukebox Chanager device via RS232 to RP5470 remote or UPS Port

Michael Koch_1
Occasional Advisor

Connect Mercury Jukebox Chanager device via RS232 to RP5470 remote or UPS Port

Can somebody tell me the RS232 ( 9 pin) wiring I have to use to connect a Mercury CD Jukebox (SCSI with serial changer device) to a RP5470 Servers remote or UPS Port?

I got the following RS232 usage on the Jukebox:

1 not connected
2 TxD
3 RxD
4 DTR
5 signal ground
6 not connected
7 RTS
8 not connected
9 not connected

How is the wiring on the RP5470 Remote or UPS port?

I see all the drives via SCSI but do not have any success in accessing the robotic device via RS232.

Thanks

Michael
3 REPLIES 3
Stefan Saliba
Trusted Contributor

Re: Connect Mercury Jukebox Chanager device via RS232 to RP5470 remote or UPS Port

I guess this Mercury Jukebox is not supported on your box by HP.

Well what I can say is that the remote port has the same pinout as the standard RS232 i.e. pin 2 RX ,pin 3 TX ,pin 4 DTR etc etc

The UPS port though is defintly of no use since that port is not the full RS232 if I'm not mistaken.

Your big problem is getting your server to talk to the jukebox via the serial port. You need some driver to tell the OS about the changer.

Usually changers are SCSI based as well, never met one with a serial interface.
But for sure you need a driver.

Good luck

stefan
Michael Koch_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: Connect Mercury Jukebox Chanager device via RS232 to RP5470 remote or UPS Port

I have a driver. The programm to send commands to the jukebox comes with the application (IXOS archieving system). Actually this configuration used to work on a K-class multiplexer port but the the pinout of this 25 pins port seems quite different to the L-class 9 pin. I did not have success with a 9 to 25 pin converter.

Any further hints?
Joachim Krebber

Hi there,

we have actually the same problem with a mercury CD Jukebox and iXOS Software. We have connected the Jukebox to the UPS Port /dev/tty0p3. But the software does not work (timeouts on tty0p3).

I am very interested in the solution ( if there is one)
thanks
Joachim