108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Connecting an rp3410 to Console switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robin King_1
Regular Advisor

Connecting an rp3410 to Console switch

I'm attempting to attach a couple of new rp3410 servers to our Lantronix console switch. The connections are normally Straight through RJ-45 to RJ-45 connections, but the rp3410 has the DB-9 interface for the console. So I need to sort a RJ45-to-DB9 adapter.

I've found some documentation that suggests the pin-outs for this sort of adapter, but it doesn't make a 100% sense.

Could someone point me in the direction of something that will tell me in layman's terms how to configure the pins on this adapter. I've never done this before.

Thanks

RJ45
8 REPLIES 8
Slawomir Gora
Honored Contributor

Re: Connecting an rp3410 to Console switch

Robin King_1
Regular Advisor

Is this DCE or DTE?
Robin King_1
Regular Advisor

I'm also not too sure how I'm meant to connect 2 wires from the RJ-45 into 1 Pin on the DB9??
Slawomir Gora
Honored Contributor

Hi,

In my opinion DTE - this is null modem cable
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Robin,
if you don't have correct the RJ45-DB9 adapter, you can prepare yourself such adapter.

On DB9 side of cable you need only 3 wires connected:
2 - Receive Data
3 - Transmit Data
5 - Signal Ground

You need to go to your Lantronix console switch documentation, to see how to connect these wires on RJ45 side.

If you need connect two pins on RJ45 to one pin on DB9, this is ease. Two wires must be joined on DB9 connector.

Regards,
Zygmunt
Robin King_1
Regular Advisor

Sorry, this took a back seat for a while. I made up the adapter, and it needed 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8.

I can't seem to get the same adapter to work with my older k-series servers though. I get output to the screen, but can't imput.

More playing around I guess.
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

Hi Robin,

what is exact type and name (or model number) of your Lantronix console switch?

Regards,
Zygmunt
Robin King_1
Regular Advisor

It's a Lantronix SCS3200.
I'm just trying to work out now, why the connection works perfectly with the rp3410 using a DCE RJ-45 to DB9, but not the K-Class.
I'm tried testing it by connecting my laptop direct into the back, and both work when I use a DTE adapter at the laptop end, and a DCE adapter at the server end.