New Discussion юеВ

Re: Console user guide

SOLVED
Go to solution
Raynald Boucher
Super Advisor

Console user guide

Good day all,

I'm unfamiliar with using an HP-UX console.
The keyboard layout I can deal with but I get frustrated with the function keys and menu options. I've even managed to lock myself out.

Where can I find a user's guide?
The more concise the better.
I have searched HP... must have been using bad search criteria.

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi Boucher,
See if this one helps you out.

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/AB300-90001/AB300-90001.pdf

Regards,

You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Raynald Boucher
Super Advisor

Thanks for the effort.

However, I'm using an old HP-UX 700/96 console on a D380.
Sorry for not specifying before.

Thanks
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi Again,
I found something for you...

http://docs.hp.com/mpeix/pdf/A1809-96019.pdf

Read Page No. 93 of this PDF and let me know if you are looking for this !!!

Regards,

You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Raynald Boucher
Super Advisor

Not quite.
When I look at the console,
there are 8 "boxes" showing F1 through F8 plus 2 numbers.

What I want to know is: what happens when I hit one of those function keys?
I tried with F1 and a message under the box appears saying "KB lockd". I assume this means keboard locked, so now, how do I unlock it?
I don't think it is by pressing F1 again.

Also, what happens when you enter the "menu" key on the keyboard? What does each choice imply?

There must be a text somewhere that explains this?

Thanks again.
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Raynald,

I couldn't find a manual for the C1064 (700/96), but here's a link to a user manual for the C1099A, which emulates a 700/96 as well as a number of other terminals.

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/hw/c1099a_terminal_um.pdf

The data related to the 700/96 mode (default) should be identical to what you need for using a 700/96.

I hope this does the trick for you.

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

The most important set of keystrokes to remember with the 700/96 or 700/92 is that when the terminal gets messed up, turn off the terminal and hold down the "D" key while turning it back on.

Count to about 10 and then let up the "D" key and it will say.

"Default configs used. Hit return to continue"

Hit return and things should be working again.

Best regards,

Kent M. Ostby
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The 700/96 comes with a good user's manual. However, it assumes you know what your opsystem and applications expect. For HP-UX (specifically a login shell), your terminal works fine and the function keys do not have any effect. It's important to note that ASCII does not define any arrow keys, page up/down, Home/End, etc. These are VERY dependent on applications, in your case things like sam and swinstall.

Start with the terminal:

Press the User/System key to bring up the primary menu. Then select f8 (Config)

Start with Global (f1)
- set CURSOR = BOX (this is to make the cursor easier to find)
- Save config (f1)

Change to DataComm (f3)
- ENQ/ACK=NO
- RecvPace/XmitPace=Xon/Xoff
- Save config (f1)

Change to Terminal Config (f5)
- InhHandshake(G)=YES
- Inh DC2=YES
- Save config

Now login and make sure that the system identifies your terminal as hp or 70096 or hp70096 (echo $TERM). If you have hardcoded TERM=something, you need to replace that line with:

eval $(ttytype -s)

in your /etc/profile. NOTE: The default /etc/profile bypasses this step if $TERM was set prior to /etc/profile. Take out this test and always run the ttytype command to avoid inter-system problems.

Now for applications that use function keys such as sam and swinstall, with the above settings, you should have no further problems. The defaults for the 700/9x terminals are designed for the HP3000 where the terminal driver is designed to handle block-mode transmissions. The (G) and (H) settings need to be inhibited for HP-UX to prevent lockups (the terminal is expecting a special handshake not provided by HP-UX).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Just a note about the newer terminals like the C1099A...these are very different as far as menus and even the methods to get to the menu keys. The 700/9x series has been stable for more than a dozen years and follows the much older 262x and 264x series of terminals as far as configuration menus and options.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
YP_1

Dear all

I need help URGENTLY!!! I hope some kind soul will help me to get out of this terrible situation. I'm on HPUX 11i
with a 700/96 terminal

1) I was trying to change my IP address and Subnet mask using "set_parms initial" from a telnet screen

2) After I confirmed my subnet and Gateway entry and press enter, The system hung at the "Wait..." screen for a long time

3) Now and I couldn't telnet to the server with the old or new IP.

4) To my horror, I found out that the terminal 700/96 terminal is not working properly. Is on a blank screen with menu ("*" at REMOTE MODE )at the bottom. I tried the turn off, hold down "D" trick but it goes back to the same state after pressing enter at the "default configs used, press enter to clear" prompt.

Please kindly help. Thanks in advance

YP