108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: D class server & 12H array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

D class server & 12H array

has anyone used a SureStore 12H AutoRaid array as a boot device, specifically for a D380? I know that the LUNs can be configured on the front panel, so I would think that they could be configured and then the OS loaded on them.

I have 18GB SE SCSI Drives in the 12H.

Thanks!
-Josh
What are the chances...
5 REPLIES 5
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

It doesn't matter what kind of drives are in the array; the host only sees the LUN's themselves. The answer to your question is yes BUT you must install/use the 'LIF' version of the AutoRAID firmware for a bootable device.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=19162&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=33733&submit.y=0&submit.x=0&cc=us&swEnvOID=7

Having said this, I never use anything but simple disks as boot devices for any UNIX box. I just don't ever want to be in the situation of wondering why this box won't boot.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Nico Schockaert
Trusted Contributor

Hello,
Looking into the configuration manual for the 12H, than it is indicated that the H12 can be used as a boot-device (single host), only as direct connect (no FC-MUX).
Looking into the configuration manual for the D-Class servers, you can use the HSC FW-SCSI as boot interface.
So, there seems to be no problem.
Hope this helps,
Nico
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I wanted to have RAID protection on the boot device without having to buy mirror/UX software. I know about the performance issues, but I will keep all the data in RAID 1+0 by configuring less than half of the available space as LUNs.
What are the chances...
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

see above.
What are the chances...