1752808 Members
5640 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: D380 Ram Layout

Betty Hardin
Frequent Advisor

D380 Ram Layout

I am looking for the ram layout on a D380; I've acquired a used box (in parts) and have it back together - but am getting a compare error on the ram. Message "Warn 7304"
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

When you take the side cover off, there should be a diagram showing what slots are where.

The slots are also numbered. Remember that RAM must be installed in pairs. Slots 0A & 0B, 1A & 1B, etc.

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The main rules are:

1) Memory modules are installed in pairs so that if you install a 64MB DIMM in slot 0a you must also install a 64MB DIMM in slot 0b. These two 64MB DIMM's then comprise a 128MB memory module.

2) Group pairs of DIMM's in order of largest to smallest modules. The largest capacity modules occupy the lowest slots.

For example, if you have 1 512MB module, 1 256MB module, and 2 128MB modules then the 512MB module should occupy slots 0a and 0b. The 256MB module should occupy slots 1a and 1b. The 128MB modules should occupy slots 2a and 2b and 3a and 3b.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Batty,
is 7304 the only warning message or is there a secondary code.
If so this would identify the memory extender and SIMM pair.

The process to check memory is:
1. Verify SIMM pair size
2. Verify proper SIMM sequence i.e. location
3. Reseat the SIMMS

This assumes that the SIMMS are not faulty!
Betty Hardin
Frequent Advisor

The diagram on the inside cover makes more sense after just getting feedback from you guys. Thanks !