1751894 Members
5079 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disable CPUS in rp7410

F Saluba
Occasional Contributor

Disable CPUS in rp7410

I need to disable a cpu in an rp7410 in order to comply with a software licence requirement.
Can this be done by the end user or does HP need to do it. I would rather keep the CPU in the server that physicaly remove it.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

Try to disable it using service menu - http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=44403.

regards,
ivan
Bharath PSB
Advisor

This is how you disable the CPU's from PDC.

If you want to disable CPU 0 (0A and 0B - dual processor) on cell 1, you will have to do it like this from BCH.

co cpu 1 0a off - disables cpus 0A and 0B on cell 1.

co cpu 1 0a on - enables cpus 0A and 0B on cell 1.

In either case you need to reboot the partiton so that the changse effect. You need not remove the cpus from the cell board. Also check the CPUs status by doing "in pr" from BCH.
DCE
Honored Contributor

Another option is to use PRM to restrict your application to specified number of CPU's. this allows you to use the "spare" cpu for the OS and other apps.
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

Another way to do this yourself would be to use iCOD if you have purchased it:

see if iCOD is installed...
# swlist -l bundle | grep -i icod

check out man page for icod_modify(1M)...
# man 1m icod_modify

~cheers
ANNE_25
Occasional Advisor

I recently had to disable CPUs on an rp5470, but if the system board in the rp7410 has a processor power switch (which normally they are all in the off/down position) it may be labeled as 'S3' (?) and all the switches on S3 are not in a default setting of off then place switch 2 and 3 to the off position and that disables proc 1 and 2.
How many procs, which need to be disabled and what revision the rp 7410?
"People Would Rather Be Ruined By Praise Than Saved By Criticism!"