108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: GSP/MP Login Credential Unknown

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lemon123

GSP/MP Login Credential Unknown

Hi,

I am supporting remote Customers which is far away from my office. My HPUX system is hung and I need to reset the server via the GSP/MP. However, I have no information for that after the previous vendor passed to us. How can I obtain the GSP ID and Password without assign HP CE to go onsite or press the button?

There are many servers having the same issue which has GSP/MP in the system but no login information.

Thank You
5 REPLIES 5
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

other than your mentioned way, there is no way to obtain MP information.

you may need to go to on site and connect through serial cable or you may reset the MP.
a warrior never quits
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

A password in general would not make so much sense if there are several ways to work around ... you need physical access to the server (and console) to press the button and reset the values.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Note, the command

#stty +resetGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1

does only work on certain models, not all.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

You have a new project: Every server must be setup for GSP/MP access. The previous vendor was remiss in not setting (or documenting) the GSP/MP login. Without this capability, remote system administration is impossible when hangs or hardware issues are encountered. And in the future, no servers are allowed to be installed without a checklist that includes setting up (and testing) access to the GSP/MP ports. I would strongly recommend that there be a completely separate subnet created for GSP/MP ports (as well as other devices such as SANs, network appliances, tape changers, etc) at each remote site. This subnet is kept separate because the maintenance ports on all machines are inherently unsecure. If security is ever breached on these ports, the hacker can turn off the power or crash and reboot these boxes at will.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin