5986 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: High temperature issue

affin
Frequent Advisor

High temperature issue

Hi Guru's,

Our environment is composed by many HPUX machine (rp5470,l2000 etc...). Tonight due to cooling problem the temperature has growth very much and all the machine have auto-powered off. All the machines except an RP 4440. On syslog no message indicating the temerature issue, but now we have the temperature led turned on and orange. Could someone explain me what happened and how I can turn off that led (we also used GSP command ShowLogs without success)??

Many thanx
AP
10 REPLIES 10
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

'envd' daemon monitors the environmental conditions and takes action according to /etc/envd.conf. However, it does log messages into syslog unless it is configured not to in envd.conf. Check your envd.conf file. It should have 'reboot -hq' associated with emergency conditions.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
affin
Frequent Advisor

hi,

these are the lines into the envd.conf:

OVERTEMP_CRIT:y

OVERTEMP_EMERG:y
/usr/sbin/reboot -qh

FANFAIL_CRIT:y

FANFAIL_EMERG:y
/usr/sbin/reboot -qh

now our issues are two:

1- why this machine has not rebooted while the all others yes(no message appear in syslog)?

2- how to turn off the orange temperature led.

Regards,
AP
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

1. is envd running?

2. the sensor that activates the led may be fried and in need of replacement.

mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
affin
Frequent Advisor

1. Yes is up and running.

But how is it possible that other machines doesn't rebbot?
Also is there an hp tool for monitoring temperature and sensor status?

Thanx
AP
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

The other machines did reboot. The reboot "-h' option powers down the machine to protect it when too hot.

On the rp4440, from GSP try the PS command to see what the current temperature status is.
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Looks like the sensor didn't sense it properly on your RP4440. You can check it from it's GSP's 'ps' command. If you want, you and look at previous logs to see if there was any condition. Type "sl" and selecte "Error" logs. Setup the filters and I believe it is the "Protection Domain" where you will see environmental conditions.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Different models can have different threshholds for temp. The rp4440 could be more heat tolerant, or, it could have a problem.

Also, I assume OnlineDiag is installed. EMS should send email to alert on these conditions. Default is to send email to 'root' user on the machine, but you can configure this to send email to you.
Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

Like Scot mentioned. Online Diags/EMS will notice a problem. We had an issue a few months ago.

Both syslog.log and roots email did have a notification. For more detailed info I believe I had to go into the GSP logs.

We ended up buying a separate appliance with some temp probes to send events to ITO to let us know if the temp gets too high. For us our reaction time is less then 20 minutes, since the temp grows extremely fast once the chillers aren't working.

affin
Frequent Advisor

The PS coomand is indicating that's all well. No lines on syslog no line into the mailbox of root...