HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752812 Members
6182 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP recommended time between reboots for SD32000, Rp7400, RP7410 and RP8400 systems.

Shane Swartz
Occasional Contributor

HP recommended time between reboots for SD32000, Rp7400, RP7410 and RP8400 systems.

Does HP have a recommended time between reboots for SD32000, RP7400, RP7410 and RP8400 systems? The systems are all running HP-UX 11.11 with mission critical support, etc. I realize that the applications running on the system might dictate different recommendations, but I'm only trying to find out a recommendation based on platform type and OS.
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Re: HP recommended time between reboots for SD32000, Rp7400, RP7410 and RP8400 systems.

Hi Shane,

NO - these aren't Winblows systems.
With *proper* application coding, ideally one should never *have* to reboot an HP-UX system. We've had systems run for over 2 years w/o reboots. Granted, we fell behind in patch levels, but we never encountered any problems and/or reasons to have to patch.
So my answer would be that NO, the platform type nor HP-UX OS will require reboots, but if one wishes to stay current on patches - these installs will frequently have reboots as a normal course of action.

My 2 cents,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Shane Swartz
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP recommended time between reboots for SD32000, Rp7400, RP7410 and RP8400 systems.

Jeff,

That is what I believed to be the answer, but was looking for verification. I agree that applications are the cause of regular reboots. Thanks for the response.
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

With unix, we aim for uptime, not downtime.

"Downtime is a Crime."
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Reboots are required because either the operating system or application programs still in beta test (like Windows anything). Unix has been running for 3 decades and for versions like HP-UX, the code was first released in the mid 1980's. As mentioned, a properly patched HP-UX installation will not need rebooting. I ran an HP-UX email server (a 9000/870 for more than 500 users for 6 years without ever needing a reboot. I did schedule downtime for security patches and once to replace a power supply that failed--we didn't notice it for weeks because of hardware redundancy. Note that there are some other Unices that must be rebooted even today. HP-UX isn't one of them.

Application programs can create all sorts of problems due to bad design (shared memory orphans, zombie/defunct processes) so it's best to remove these bad programs and wait for some quality code.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin