HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753783 Members
7049 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hp700/96 console howto reverse screen text.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

hp700/96 console howto reverse screen text.

I have an old hp700/96 terminal hooked up to an old hp box. It works fine. But the text is the black and the screen is white.

Any idea how I can reverse this? It seems a bit bright. I don't want to burn out the screen.

While I'm asking, is there a screen saver option to blank out the screen after X minutes?

thanks.
steve post
3 REPLIES 3
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Re: hp700/96 console howto reverse screen text.

Hey I just answered my own question.

Hit the "user/system" key between F4 and F5.

Hit F8 for (config keys)
Hit F1 for (Global config)
Now you get a menu.
Use arrow keys to move around in it.
Use F2 for next choice on an option.
Use F1 to SAVE the changes you made.
Here are two of the options on this "global menu".

DISPLAY OFF -> off, 5, or 15. I needed to change it to 5. This means blank the screen in 5 minutes.
Inverse Backgrounp -> YES or NO. I needed to change it from YES to NO.

That's it.
I hit the menu key again to put away that menu on the bottom of the screen.

I also noted the terminal refuses to work unless "REMOTE MODE" has an asterisk next to it.
I get that via: menu, modes, Remotemode.

steve
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Be sure to note if the terminal is running at something other than 9600 baud. This is in case the terminal seems to stop working, you can turn off the terminal, then hold the D key down and turn power back on again. This is a hard reset to factory defaults. It's a good idea to note what changes you've made (screen timeout value, etc). REMOTE MODE is definitely the online/offline item. Another useful feature is the DISPLAY FUNCTIONS key which makes all the control characters visible (like CR LF TAB etc). It is a toggle on/off. And if you need screen copies, there is a printer port on the back which allows you to log everything sent to the screen, or make a single screen capture of the information.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

I'm closing the thread because the solution is listed here. (and then some).