HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752577 Members
4053 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP9000 G50 Beep codes - Power up issues

HP9000 G50 Beep codes - Power up issues

I have a Hp9000 G50 that upon power up, tests the DDS drive (both lights flash, display solid grenn and orange lights on the front panel(with one and three dots below them respectivly)will spin the HDD, give one long (about 3sec beep), pause about 10 sec, and then do it all over again. After about 10 mins. the first light (green, with one dot stamped under it on the front panel)shuts off, but the other one (with three dots under it) stays solid orange. eventually the bee codes stop and it seem to spin up the fans and HDD, but I am gett no respose from the console (a 700/96).

I think it may be a bad HDD, but I dont know since I have no knowledge of the beep codes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

from what I know, the G40 does not give any beeb codes. Maybe the beeb comes from a modem or an UPS ? The behaviour sounds like the system is running through the self test and stopping in the Boot Console Handler (BCH). Most common cause of this problem: A hanging console. Try to reset the console by turning it off, then press "d" for 10 seconds during you turn on the console. If after this still no output on the console can be seen, try booting without the console (does the attention LED go out and the run LED go on ?).

Best regards

Stefan
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

I think you will find that on these old G systems the disc is the device that makes the beeping. I have had several machines that have done this and they all have been attributable to disc failures
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar

Hi!

I disconnected the external cdrom, the AUI (lan), and the console. The system will now power up and stay up without the beeping, however the second light (with the three dots under it) stays solid orange; what is this indicating?. I reseated the I/o board on the backplane and got the same results. I also tested out the ups system (a APC) with a meter and it seems to be fine, so I dont think it is a power issue.

When I connect the console I am still getting nothing to the screen. I am not sure if the terminal is setup correctly since I have no manuals or documentation on either the console or the system and it's been awhile since I had to work with HP9000 hardware and thus I am a little rusty with it. Incidentally, I am running console thru a homemade cable consisting of a db25 connector on one end, a ps2 connector on the other, and 25ft of cat5 between them. This cable has worked before with the same console and system combo so I doubt it is the issue.

I suspect this is either: a bad or misconfigured console, I/O board, Hard Drive, or gremlins. I am leaning towards gremlins right now given I have a C110 and a 715/80 that are both giving me problems.

I appreciate the input both of you have given, and I am hoping you might be able to give me some futher insight into this.

Thanks,

Chris
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

as I said before, I think that you first have to fix the console problem before thinking about other errors, because the server will stop in BCH if you use a defect console cable or if no proper boot disk is found. Without console access you will not be able to fix the problems. I found the following layout for the console cable (hope it's not too distorted). In fact, you have to use a cable with a DB25 connector with pin 2 for Rc, pin 3 for Tr and pin 7 four GND.

Hope this helps

Stefan

CONSOLE CABLE FOR NOVA/EMERALD. P/N AND PINOUT.
===============================================

THE P/N IS A1703-63003 WHICH IS A 3METERS DIN (6 PINS) TO MALE 25 PIN.
PINOUT TAKEN FROM A CABLE IS :

DIN CONNECTOR 25 PIN (MALE)
FRONT VIEW
^
| 1 ______________ 7
|

KEY

Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

I hope, this looks better:

DIN CONNECTOR 25 PIN (MALE)
FRONT VIEW
^
| 1 __________ 7
|
KEY
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

OK, I surrender, read the attachment :-(
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Incedentally, the cable is $41 from HP. I can send you one for much less.

If you want it email me. jscott (at) sourcedirect.com
What are the chances...