HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748232 Members
3401 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is an HP 700/96 'dumb' terminal supported on N4000 running 11i?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Randy Hagedorn
Regular Advisor

Is an HP 700/96 'dumb' terminal supported on N4000 running 11i?

Hi,

We recently acquired an N4000 running HP-UX 11i. We are using a 'dumb' HP 700/96 terminal as the console. When we login to the system in the startup messages it dislays "Value of TERM has been set to VT100", when the terminal is ID'd as 70096. Applications that use cursor control such as sam, don't work well in that environment.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

Thanks,
Randy
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Is an HP 700/96 'dumb' terminal supported on N4000 running 11i?

Yes, those are definitely supported. Verify that the terminal itself is set to HP or 70096 and NOT EM100. Use the function keys to get to the appropriate settings screen on the terminal.

You could also make sure that the auto termtype function in /etc/profile or .profile is working correctly.

If all else fails, set the TERM variable manually.

# export TERM=hp
or
# export TERM=70096
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Change the TERM to something useful.

In the setup of the device, accessible by the function keyes you can switch from em100 to hp and back.

I would sugest TERM=hp

if that does not work, poke around the hardware setup menus.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Definitely a formware TERM setting. You will need to change the formware setting on the term to other than that EM whatever...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Please don't hardcode TERM settings. The correct way to set TERM on any HP-UX system is using ttytype. This is a program that automatically identifies the type of terminal that is being used. Unfortunately, the default /etc/profile has the following code:

if [ "$TERM" = "" -o "$TERM" = "unknown" -o "$TERM" = "dialup" -o "$TERM" = "network" ]
then
eval `ttytype -s -a`
fi
export TERM

Replace all the above code with the following:

eval $(ttytype -s -a)

Now for some details about the console and ttytype for new computers (like the N4000): There is another computer inside the box running ROM-based code called the Guardian Service Processor or GSP for short. Several years ago, people that did not understand HP terminals got confused with their vt100 emulators and decided that the GSP should set the value of TERM. So changes were made to ttytype and tset so that the value of TERM would bypass any testing and hardcode the value in the GSP.

This has led to endless console problems over the past few years. Your HP service rep may have told to you to take the smart HP terminal (it is certainly not dumb like a VT100) and set the emulation mode to 'dumb' by changing the emulation from HP to EM100. That's because the default terminal setting in the GSP has been changed to vt100.

If you stay with the GSP setting, then you can certainly change the 700/96 terminal to EM100 in the terminal settings (CONFIG -> TERMINAL CONFIG) screen, but you'll lose programmable softkeys for navigation (very useful in SAM and swinstall) and a bunch of other smart features.

Or you leave the terminal in HP mode and change the GSP. As I mentioned, the GSP has nothing that is dependent on the type of terminal so changing it from vt100 to hp makes no difference to the GSP. But it will make ttytype return a useable value for TERM in HP-UX. To change it, go to the terminal and type CTRL-B which connects you to the GSP. If you've never configured the GSP then just press Enter a couple of times for the login and password. Then type the command:

ca

You'll see the serial console settings. Just change the terminal type from vt100 to hpterm. Note that hpterm in this menu has nothing to do with xwindows--it really should have said just hp. Then save the setting and exit from the GSP with the command: co

Now with your GSP set correctly, when you login, type the comand: echo $TERM and it should read hp. NOTE: this is a special situation for just the console (and support modem port) where the terminal identification is overridden. You can see this by running ttytype -s on the console and then also on a telnet session. ttytype returns immediately on the console and takes about 3 seconds to complete on a non-console login.

Once you have fixed the console and GSP (and made the changes to /etc/profile), your terminal problems will now be limited to poor emulators that are not written accrately.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Almost forgot: this was never a problem prior to the new style computers with a GSP. Nothing special is needed for K-class, V-class, D-class, workstations, etc. And ttytype has been around long before version 10.xx so it is quite backward compatible.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

We changed the terminal definition in the GSP to be an HP terminal and this works better than the vt100, b/c now we have scrollback, mstm looks like it should, SAM is happy, etc. Change your term type in the GSP to HP, and change the term type in the 70096 to the HP type as well.

Then, set your TERM variable...
and, for the record, I tried it and I like Bill's way the best - thanks for the tip Bill !!!
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Randy

You have to options

1. The 70096 can be switched to vt100 mode.
Do not know the process of hand. You must just change the terminal settings.
2. The GSP can be changed to hpterm mode
a. Login to the gsp
b. ca ( COnfigure Asyncronous )
c Change the details for the console port.

HTH
Gerhard