New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is Someone Crankin Me?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Middleton
Frequent Advisor

Is Someone Crankin Me?

Greetings All,
I think someone is pulling my leg, but I thought I better ask the forum just in case.
I have a contact at a remote site (another State) that tells me that he has several K580 Servers who have leaky processors..
At first I asked what he had been drinking for lunch, but he assures me that several processors are literally dripping some form of liquid from the processors, below the fins, where the three tubes are connected to the larger brass or copper box.
Anyone ever hear of this before ? I never even considered how the processor was cooled. I always thought it was air moving over the fins.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Paul Middleton
Dilligad - Do I Look Like I Give A Damn
18 REPLIES 18
Ken Hubnik_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

I think they pulled your leg right off. Maybe somebody poor something on top of the machine but the processor is not leaking.
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Actually, on these systems (Kx70/80) I have heard that the CPU cooling is assisted with ionized water that runs through the heat sinks. Although I have never heard of one leaking, there is always a first time.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

If object is brought from cool room into hot room then one can see water condensing on the warming parts.
During operation CPUs are getting to be hot or, at least, warm, and there should be no water at all.
If it's not so common as spilled cup of coffee then I would call HP technicians
Eugeny
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Perhaps it's possessed ....

;^)
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
James Anker
Valued Contributor

Paul,

The only mahcines that ever used water cooled CPU's where the real early IBM RS6000's (about 10 to 15yrs ago)

Me thinks there pulling you chain!

Cheers

Jim
Mike Fisher_5
Trusted Contributor

The fact that it's several servers is significant

Our most experienced engineer thinks you should take this seriously because...
The fallout from doing nothing - who knows where that could lead?
& if you take action, then you may only lose face

There is fluid
It's sealed in
This can't be natural wear & tear so

either
You're being spoofed
or
Someone with a grudge is going 'postal' on you
Don't get mad - get naked
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Tully's answer is fantastic....

besides this, i remember that some old model used a liquid cooling system, so i think that it is possible. But many server concurrently... is there any problem with the fans/temperature in that room?

I would open a call to HP in any case...

Massimo
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

Hi

As mentioned above the source of fluid is probably not be the server. But we had a "leak" from overhead cooling unit which flooded the server room! Assuming the room is being cooled, it may be a cooling unit within the room leaking onto server!!!

The advantage of using this "investigation" route is that it gets rid of the incompetents side of things like going postal or cups of coffee. Every one may save face

Extra luck....of the good variety

Tim
-
Jose Antonio Orozco
Frequent Advisor

maybe your contact get impressed with Terminator sequel, and now has computer fobia-paranoia
What is not backed up, it not exists