HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752786 Members
6134 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: K360 Internal Disk Drive capacity

Al DeSimone_4

K360 Internal Disk Drive capacity

I have a few old K360's at another location. I need to know what the internal disk capacity of these machines are. They are currently configured with (2) 4 GB drives and I was wondering what my options were in terms of filling it in terms of number of drives as well as the size of the drive.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Your K-360 will support up to 4, 9.1GB internal drives but be aware that these are HVD (Hi Voltage Differential) SCSI devices.

I NEVER used any internal drives on any K-boxes because they are not hot-plugable. All my drives (including boot drives) were always external so that I would not have to shutdown to replace a failed drive.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Al DeSimone_4

Thanks for your reply. We have limited space in the data center as these hosts are racked and external disk devices though not prohibited are generally avoided if possible
Al DeSimone_4

Can you tell me what external disk cabinets and disks (size) that can be added to these K360's?

Once again, thanks for your quick response.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I have used Jamaica's (HP A3311A, I believe) and FC10's quite extensively with K boxes.

The Jamaica's can hold up to 8 low profile disks of 4, 9 or 18GB. The Jamaica is a SCSI device and can be either SE of FWD (High voltage differential SCSI).

The FC10 can hold up to 10 drives of up to 73GB capacity I believe. The FC10 is a fibre device.

Al DeSimone_4

You guys in the Forun here are FANTASTIC!!

Thank you all for your rapid responses!
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi, you can put upto 4x 18gb discs internally in the k's. All HVD scsi disks.
or externally you can use
A3312A rackmount box for 8 drives
A3311A deskside box for 8 drives

SC10(rackmount) for 10 lvd scsi disks but slower performance than you would expect from lvd discs due to speed of interfaces available.

FC10 (Rackmount) which hold 10 discs

or the older M12H array which hold 12 discs.

Andy
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Hi Al, the max you can get in your K box is 4 x 180GB FWD drives giving you 720GB total. There are also 36GB drives for the K boxes, that HP part number is A5529A you can usually find them on ebay.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The most important part about internal disks for K-boxes is that they HIGH VOLTAGE, not just Fast Wide Differential (FWD). Disk mfr's stopped making these disks a long time ago so you'll need to look at the used/resale marketplace to get them. Most people confuse FWD with LVD (Low Voltage Differential, more accurately, FWD-LV). The LVD standard is compatible with class SCSI-SE but FWD-HV is not compatible with any other SCSI standard. The FWD-HV was state of the art in the early 90's because it was 20Mbit, 15 SCSI addresses and could transfer data over dozens of feet of cable.

While Jamaica boxes were really common for external storage, today's disk enclosures are much smaller and take up much less rack space. The DS 2100 is a good example--1 rack space (1.75 inches) for 4 disks...very easy to add to an existing rack.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Yew Lee
Advisor

I believe the Jamaica are reaching end of life soon. HVD10 (looks like FC1010) are supposed to be the replacement for Jamaica. The HVD10 actually uses LVD disks, which is the same as those on the SC10.

The other FWD product which I can think of are the SmartRacks. I'm not too sure when these will last too!
On the move....