SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

L2000 PDC Checksum Error at boot

Hello,
I am receiving the following error during boot:

PDC_RELOCATE_CHKSUM fails on old PDC image

The error occurs right where you would normally see alloc_pdc_pages: Relocating PDC messages.

The system displays an Alert Level 12 and panics.

I have not found anything relating to this error anywhere so any insight would be great.

rp5450 (L2000) with 41.39 PDC and (4) 440mhz cpus running 11.11.

Much appreciated!

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Re: L2000 PDC Checksum Error at boot

Hi Bob,

I believe a copy of the PDC firmware resides on each CPU in the system but it's only read at boot time from the monarch processor - usually CPU 0.
If you haven't just recently performed a PDC upgrade then you *may* have a dead CPU 0. Try moving another CPU into CPU 0 position.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I think there is something for you at Number 12 on this link:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/hp/2004-q1/0029.html

Regards,

Imran

I'll sleep when i am dead.
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Bob,

the PDC is relocated from the ROM to RAM after the selftests to increase performance. The HPUX kernel does this and it tests checksums before and after the relocation. In your case it looks like the PDC code in the ROM has a bad checksum which leads to a panic. Possible reasons:

1.) The PDC is corrupted (if you're lucky, you can relush the PDC with a PDC update tape, should be done by HP)
see
http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PF_CRHW4401&context=firmware:cpu

2.) The kernel is corrupt (alloc_pdc_pages makes nonsens) - boot from another kernel, f.e. install CD recovery shell to verify

3.) The Flash Rom or other hardware parts are defect => new systemboard is needed :-(

4.) The CPU which calculates the checksum is defect - disable CPU 0 from PDC Configuration Menue to verify

Best regards

Stefan
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Thanks all for the responses. You confirmed my suspicion of a problem being on the motherboard.

What had occured was CPU was being replaced due to another problem. After this replacement this problem had ensued. The CPU's were moved around and 0 was removed all to no avail. The system would panic with the same error at the same point.

We have replaced the system board and all is ok. Perhaps I could have tried updating the PDC image as suggested and I will certainly remember that if there is a next time.

Thanks again.

Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!