New Discussion юеВ

Re: network speed gsp remote console rp8400

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael O'brien_1
Regular Advisor

network speed gsp remote console rp8400

Hi,

I'm trying to set the speed and the duplex setting on the remote console in the GSP on a rp84000.

When I type LC, the only option I get to change are the ip address etc. When type LS it says the has a speed of 100 and a setting of halt duplex. It also says its autoneg. I would like to lock the setting to 100 full duplex without autoneg.

Thanks
Michael
5 REPLIES 5
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Hi,

been trying the same on an rp5430, did not make it either ...

Regards,
Bernhard
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Michael,

unfortunately it is impossible to change the autonegotiation of network speed and duplex mode on the rp8400 MP.

Best regards

Stefan
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, Stefan's correct.
None of the GSP nor MP lan ports can be set to a specific duplex. Therefore just set the switch port to which they're connected to auto-negotiate. That's the best (and only) thing you can do.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Michael O'brien_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the replies, I've set the switch at 100 full and hopfully the autoneg on the console port will stick at 100 full.

Cheers
Mike
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Note that autonegotiation fails at specific cable lengths between the computer and switch. Autonegotiation went through growing pains for 100BaseT and there are basically three ways to determine the speed/duplex settings (IEEE 802.3u).

Before 1994, the N-way negotiation standard did not exist so Auto-sense (10 Mbit) and a parallel detection method must also be used. This involves Fast Link Pulses and a lot of details to make it all work.

However, successful auto-negotiation requires agreement on the methods and timing, plus LAN cables that are less than 35 meters or longer than 41 meters. Because auto-negotiation uses special pulses and detection windows, certain cable lengths may fail to negotiate and the standard says: if auto-negotiation fails, default to 1/2 duplex. For the GSP, this is not a big problem since there is virtually zero traffic and no long data transfers.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin