4582 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

not possible to connect locally to MP console

Ionut Grigorescu_2
Super Advisor

not possible to connect locally to MP console

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect locally to the MP local serial port on a rp4440 system. I have used both a laptop with HyperTerminal and a serial console from an old L2000 system. The settings I've tried were 9600,8/n/1, Xon/Xoff - I get no prompt. Any idea?

thanx,
Ionut
If it weren't for STRESS I'd have no energy at all
12 REPLIES 12
Svetoslav Gyurov
Valued Contributor

Re: not possible to connect locally to MP console

Hi,

Well, you can try to connect at different speed. I had this problem, after I spent half a day trying different options, until I switch to 115200 bauds and it goes on.

--
sve
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

What kind of cables are you using?

Make sure you are hooked to the serial port, and not the parallel port on the back of the serial console. Also, try powering off the console, and holding the 'D' key while turning the console on. Release the 'D' key after the second beep, and the console will go to factory settings.

If you are connecting from Hyperterminal, make sure that you have a null modem type cable to connect.

Josh
What are the chances...
Howard Marshall
Regular Advisor

Is the tty port enabled for login? You can use the getty command to check the serial parameters and either set them to match the terminal or set the terminal to match them.

If you still get nothing use a null modem cable and connect the laptop to the terminal and make sure they are working.

try sending a continous string of characters to the tty, that way you can fiddle with it till you see the characters show up on the screen.

Beyond that, it may be a matter of bad cable or wrong pin out.

H
Edgar_8
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Has the MP console worked before? If all the previous advice has not worked, try resetting the MP.

HTH
Ionut Grigorescu_2
Super Advisor

Hi, I have tried with direct/null modem cable, all possible speeds, only 8/n/1, laptop and serial terminal console. I don't know if it worked before, how can I reste the MP port ???!!!
hasan420
Occasional Contributor

you can also try connecting ASCII Terminal to Console/Remote/UPS Port of rp3410
paolo barila
Valued Contributor

Are you connected to the right port?
In my rp3440 is a 25-pin with an adaptor to 9pin (console/reomte/ups), not the "console/serial port".

share share share
Ionut Grigorescu_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

I got thre serial DB9 ports - local, auxiliary and remote. I'm connecting to the local port as described in the rp4440 documentation from HP.
paolo barila
Valued Contributor